Butchering Fryer Roosters

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by blucoondawg, Aug 4, 2013.

1. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I was hoping to hear from some people with experience in butchering off their extra roosters, I have assorted heritage breed chickens I ordered from McMurray and I have at least 3 roosters I am going to butcher and I will keep 2 or maybe 3 if I decide to keep the Buttercup as well which was my free exotic chick. I was wondering what people have found to be a good butchering age for these guys as far as being young enough to not be too tough yet old enough to have some decent meat on them. I know they won't ever be as large as a Cx and that's fine.

2. BCMaraniac

BCMaraniac Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    I haven't processed any extra cockerels, but from everything I have read on BYC, I think 16-20 weeks is the ballpark that people use. I also wonder if keeping them confined the last couple of weeks would help with their weight as well.

3. Elke Beck

Elke Beck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Sunny So Cal
    I have two deciding factors for when to butcher: 1) does the bird feel like it has a good amount meat on legs and breast, and 2) how much of a nuisance is the bird. I try to get them to number 1, but often they go earlier because of number 2.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by