Butchering - Knife Recommendation Needed

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by DenverBird, Sep 11, 2011.

1. DenverBird

DenverBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    I've done some research on BYC and found everything from folks using cheap carbon steel knives to those recommending really high end knives for butchering. In my drawer are several "good" knives that I'm planning for butchering and was wondering whether it would be worthwhile to buy some better knives.

Right now I've got the following knives:

8" - J.A. Henckels (black handle)
    6" - Dexter Russel (white handle knife from Restaurant Supply store)
    4" paring knife - Victorinox (white handle)

I'll have the sharpener handy before and during processing.

My Question - Will I find much better than what I've got for less than about $40 - $50 to upgrade the three?

If anyone knows of deals out there and has suggestions, I've got plenty of time to order online just not a lot of $$ so I don't want to spend unnecessarily.

Thanks!

-DB

2. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I use a paring knife made of carbon steel. It takes an edge and holds it. It's thin, narrow, and stiff---which is what I like for the brain pith method and the rest of the butchering.
    Try different knifes and use what works for you. I’m sure there is someone out there using a flint knife and prefers that.

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I figure everyone has their favorite. My all-around "butchering knife" is one I made from an old cross-cut saw. I use it on chickens, quail, cows & pigs. It has a high-carbon content & sharpens like a razor.

4. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    Quote:Me too, I made my hunting knife out of a old saw blade:
    Here, it is in this picture from last fall.
    [​IMG]

5. booker81

booker81 Redneck Tech Girl

Apr 18, 2010
    Mid-MI
    I'm sure everyone knows what I like by now, but hey, why not. [​IMG] I like using a scalpel - for the whole thing, beginning to end. I order from Havels (medical supply), and a handle is $8.50, a box of 100 blades is about $18. I usually can do 2-3 chickens before changing a blade out.

I have other knives that I use for larger things (deer), but I just buy cheap knives and sharpen regularly. I did purchase a set of Cutco knives, but while they hold an edge about twice as long as other knives, they still dull down.

I'm hard on knives though.

6. DenverBird

DenverBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2010
    West Denver Burbs
    Thanks folks!

More info appreciated,

-DB

7. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
  8. kingsfarm

kingsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    I processed 3 Roosters - FIRST TIME DOING THIS - used a 3 piece paring knife set (J A Henckle) the longest of the three...it did all the work even cut off the head, cut joints etc....had chickens shears ($20) did not even use them no need ---- paid $10 for little set and love them, will be wonderful in kitchen.
    I researched and looked at videos etc till my eyes hurt....this am before I started, took one more look on backyard chicken forum and there is something I never noticed......a LOCK which opened a bunch of "HOW TO'S" wonderful!!! on the last line it was exactly what I needed and the SIMPLEST AND EASIEST AND CLEANEST process that I have found,....thanks to this forum I processed the first in 1/2 hour the next in 20 min the last in 15 minutes...am ssssssssssssss0000000000000000 excited and wish all who hesitate to skin chickens just do it.....G The names of the people processing in this great video are the Custer family farm . com they have a site you can go to about themselves I haven't looked yet but am grateful to them....soooo simple... Good Luck...

9. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    About any knife will do as long as it's sharp. There's not a whole lot of knife work when processing a bird. Parting them out is whole 'nother story. For parting out I like to use a large, curved-blade skinning knife.

We have a couple of these that I like to use. This is a boning knife make by Victorinox. The bottom photo is their skinning knife. I also have a number of older carbon steel knives that I've picked up at rummage and estate sales.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

I use kitchen shears more than knives for processing.. granted mine are some nice shears.
    They will cut through bone .. so I even use them for removing the head and feet once the bird is dead

always have a nice sharp paring knife on hand just in case.. but I have found the shears work well for just about anything I need to cut

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by