Butchering other animals besides chickens

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by picklespickles, Jan 9, 2008.

1. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    hi

i've been studying some anatomy pictures of various animals so that when i prepare some more animals later this year i will have some more familiarity with it.

what kinds of animals have you killed?

how have you done it?

THANKS!

2. johnnyjack

johnnyjack Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2007
    usa
    when i was a boy my uncle always got us to help kill pigs and beef cattle.he had his own smoke house and everything.but thats been along time ago lol. now we always take our cattle and pigs to the slaughterhouse.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Butcher for food just chickens, but disect for study...

A frog, pig, racoon, gold fish, manduca, red worm, opossum and turtle.

Most were pre packaged but others were either dipped in some solution or had a injection of something into their central nervous system. The raccoon was shot.

4. Barnyard Dawg

Barnyard Dawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    Northern California
    My wife can butcher just about anything, whether it is turtle, frogs, lobster, fish, chickens, duck, geese, wild game, etc. As a young woman of nineteen she worked in a processing plant her job was to butcher 18 ducks a day when that was done her day was over, so she became very efficient and fast. Fortunately this lasted maybe six months when she got an office job and later a meat (food) inspector position responsible for shipping food products all over the world and a restaurant owner.

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We have slaughtered cattle and then taken them in to be processed. Main thing to remember is to slit their throats after shooting them so they bleed out.

6. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Blegh.

I would much rather to haul off to a butcher and let them process from kill to freeze. It's cheap and convenient.

7. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    i don't have the luxury of being grossed out. professionals here only process wild game.

thanks for the various ideas.

even though i do it in an area away from where the animals are and even make them go somewhere else, they avoid the area afterwards for weeks. which freaks me out as much as the killing itself. i am careful to take care of every speck of blood and such but they all still know.

i figure the first time with each species will be the most difficult til i get used to their particular needs. (and mine!)

i wish i knew someone who went deer hunting (or something) so i could see how they at least did the carcass.

or maybe i should get lacy over here and tell her it's a bobcat.

8. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    what kinds of animals have you killed?

how have you done it?

That has got to be one of the creepiest things I have seen posted on a forum [​IMG]

9. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    :cool:well, i thought of posting it on a vegan animal rights forum as a troll, and then i thought, well, gee, why not post it on a farming forum where it belongs. [​IMG]

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Quote:[​IMG]

Maybe you could search online for how to dress a deer? I'm sure there's plenty of articles. If there's a meat market in the town or city you live in, maybe you could ask the butcher some questions? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by