Butchering process

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by charthorn, Dec 8, 2014.

1. charthorn

charthorn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    New Mexico
    I saw a video where the freshly butchered chicken was placed into a vinegar bath prior to chilling. As the vinegar should kill unwanted bacteria, this may be a good thing but I haven't seen it or heard of it other than this one video. Does anyone else do this?

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Rather I dump a bunch of sea salt into the ice bath. Bacteria hates that too.

Cooking poultry to the proper temperature should alleviate any bacteria concerns though.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  3. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Yeah, I don't know about that either.... There's always bacteria on everything in this world, but if you slaughter and handle your meat from healthy birds in a clean environment with clean tools this is generally not a concern--nor does vinegar kill all bacteria anyway (it's not recommended as a disinfectant because it's not always strong enough to kill all the nasties). Though I would think it would sure make the meat taste a little different!

Proper cooking, on the other hand, DOES get tend to get rid of any bad bacteria, and much more effectively...[​IMG]

....and more flavorfully!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  4. charthorn

charthorn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2012
    New Mexico
    I agree with what you're saying, keeping everything clean and properly cooked are necessities. I just saw it in a video and was wondering if anybody else was doing it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  5. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Just wanted to add: if you raised it yourself and did it right, it will likely be far fresher, cleaner, and safer than the USDA "inspected" stuff from factory farms. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by