Butchering quail today!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by SamG347, Jul 8, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Well I got my extra males butchered! With a good sharp hatchet and a good knife it is a quick process. They are INSANLEY easy to skin too. I will deffinetly be butchering more quail in the future! I have the 3 birds sitting in a salt bath right now....will be cooking them tomorrow!
    [​IMG]

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I'm interested to hear how they turn out. After following BirdBoy's saga, the coturnix have me intrigued...

Did you skin them because they are difficult to pluck or are they so small that it's not worth it?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When mine hatch how long before I can tell the male and female? What age are you butchering them? When my eggs hatch can you send me more or are you culling back on your covvy? How many females to males should the ratio be?

The eggs were large enough to sit in the very bottom of my chicken egg turner trays [​IMG]

4. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I skinned them just because their skin is soo thin that it rips easily. Sure MP I would send you some more eggs! I'm only going to expand no cutting back lol. It takes them 6-9 weeks to see any physical difference in the sex. Also the males have like a warbling/crow which also makes them stand out. But the males have a solid salmon colored breast feathers...the females have barred breast feathers. I keep 1 male to 3 females.
    Hmmmm I cant wait to keep these bad boys up!
    [​IMG]

5. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    *drool*

*glances out at own quail* Grow babies grow!

[​IMG] Never thought I would be hoping for extra males. LOL

Makes me want to go out and eat mine. Argh, still got a few weeks to go. LOL

They are so cute, I had to put the pen out behind the barn where I couldn't see them all the time.

Let us know how your's cook up!

-Kim

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Hmmm.... I was able to pick out my males at 3 weeks... [​IMG] Their crow sounds like someone gargling while cat-whistling at a girl...[​IMG] My little girl laid her first egg at 5 1/2 weeks, and hasn't stopped!

Hey Sam... I picked up a yummy sounding recipe for quail last night (grilling)... if you want it, let me know! [​IMG]

7. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Hey Sam... I picked up a yummy sounding recipe for quail last night (grilling)... if you want it, let me know! [​IMG]

Post it AK and share with us all!

-Kim​

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    4 quail (the picture shows them without a backbone, sort of butterflied, with 3 skewers holding the quail in a spread-out fashion.)

Rub:
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    1 tsp brown sugar
    1 tsp paprika
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp black pepper
    Mix well.

Rub into the quail, both sides.

1 Cup buttermilk... marinate seasoned quail in buttermilk, covered, for 30 minutes, turning at least once. Drain well.

Heat grill, oil the grate, cook quail 4-6 minutes on each side. Serve on bed of rice. [​IMG] ***drool*** [​IMG]

9. Wolf-Kim

Jan 25, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thank you!

-Kim

10. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    That sounds WONDERFUL! At what age do you butcher them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by