1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Butchering Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by CoopedChik, Jul 26, 2011.

1. CoopedChik

CoopedChik Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Alright I did it I butchered my first quail the bird came out beautiful I hated killing him though, but I can do it at least. I fell slightly sad but mainly proud that I did such a good job

2. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    yea, sometimes you just gotta grit your teeth, and go for it, congrats!

3. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Yeah, I felt a little bad for killing my extra roos, but they were being awfully noisy. The cleaning was very easy. I made sure it was fast for them. I STILL haven't tried them yet, between being busy and the awful hot weather not making anyone in the fam feel much like cooking. So they're in the freezer patiently waiting.

I'm going to have 2 empty Brinseas by the end of the week, and I have a big pile of eggs building up, so I need to cook them and make sure I like them before I commit to hatching more.

4. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Good on you, You were responsible for there birth\\hatching. You gave him a life that was not wanting. You gave him a end where there was no suffering. You gave him purpose.... Hope you enjoy the feast!!! Bill

5. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Quote:Quail meat is delicious so I'm sure you'll like it actualy I went back to get the other young male and the cage's hinge had broke and he and 3 others got out found them all except for him and the nieghbor's dog ended up finding him [​IMG]. But the one I have in my freezer is actually a big fat male I'm cooking him (on a cool night, heats bad here also) in a white whine sauce with oysters and some of our fresh goat cheese [​IMG]

6. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Quote:Good on you, You were responsible for there birth\\hatching. You gave him a life that was not wanting. You gave him a end where there was no suffering. You gave him purpose.... Hope you enjoy the feast!!! Bill

didn't hatch him out another farmer gave me him and 3 other males. But I shall enjoy him very much.

7. backyardcovey

backyardcovey Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    KC
    8+ weeks ago the eggs went into the incubator. 80% of the hens laid today.

Dressed my first roo tonight. He is chilling in ice water now. Sad but that and eggs are why I got they. [​IMG]

3 to many Roos left. Glad I found the gal at TSC to buy 6 of them.

8. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Quote:I got them for the same reason i just put 5 new eggs into the incubator today to start the process over again, I think though once I get alot of birds I'll start selling them instead of butchering all the time.

9. Fat Daddy

Fat Daddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Ks
    Quote:Its never fun, but it does get easier... I just finished a fine dinner of pan fried quail and scallop, with asparagus and thick sliced tomato... Kinda weird combo I know. But THAT meal makes it a little easier to dress them!!! Bill

10. CoopedChik

May 24, 2011
    Louisville Kentucky
    Quote:Its never fun, but it does get easier... I just finished a fine dinner of pan fried quail and scallop, with asparagus and thick sliced tomato... Kinda weird combo I know. But THAT meal makes it a little easier to dress them!!! Bill

other than the tomato thats sounds amazing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by