Butchering Roosters

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Thedukelife, Nov 8, 2016.

1. Thedukelife

Thedukelife Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2016
    Hey everyone! Feedback would be appreciated! I plan on incubating eggs and raising them, however I would prefer to have a backup plan on the organic chicks I can't sell. So I think I would like to raise the hens and at about 10 weeks, butcher the roosters. Does that sound fine to everyone else? Also, how much should I sell mixed organic chicks for?

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Unless they are very fast growing, they won't make much of a meal at only 10 weeks. Most dual purpose cockerels take about 16 to 20 weeks to reach a decent table weight.
    This time of year, I can get about $10 each for my pullets over 6 weeks old. I usually sell my 0-14 day old, unsexed chicks for about $3 each.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

i agree that weight will be too low at 10 weeks to butcher for most breeds.

Not sure of recommended value, since I can get sexed pullets for $3 at the feed store. But after weaning off heat like suggested around 6 weeks value could be more. [​IMG]

4. Thedukelife

Oct 30, 2016
    Only $3 if even for organic? We do organic chickens. I was gonna do $4 or $5.

5. Thedukelife

Oct 30, 2016
    And I understand its not much meat, but in order to get SOME meat and to be able to get rid of the roosters.

1 person likes this.
  6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! 10 weeks is less time than broilers, I strongly advise you wait longer, you might get two pounds from a ten week old chicken. I hope you enjoy BYC as much as I have!

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

So whu not wait closer to 16 weeks instead of 10?

You can always try to sell for whatever and check your market....

8. Thedukelife

Oct 30, 2016
    Cause feeding roosters organic feed is costly.

9. Thedukelife

Oct 30, 2016
    If I get two pounds a bird, I'd be fine with that. We pay about $5/lb for chicken and I added the costs up, and it should be a bit under $7 per chicken for the organic feed we get.

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    You'll get more meat for your money if you just wait another month or two.

Depends on the season. In the spring, all the feed stores have sexed chicks at the same price or less. In the fall/winter the stores don't have chicks, so there is no competition. Local buyers would rather spend $3 per unsexed chick rather than pay shipping charges for sexed pullets from a hatchery.
    By keeping the pullets long enough to sex accurately, I can usually get a lot more for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by