1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Butchering services

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jermoatc, Mar 29, 2016.

1. jermoatc

jermoatc Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Do any of y'all butcher chickens in small batches for other chicken owners who don't wish to "do the deed" themselves? If so how much do you typically charge? I was thinking about offering this service as a way to make some extra money to support my chicken habit.

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I haven't offered this personally, but I have gone in with another BYC'er to utilize such a service (as hubby won't help with the "deed," and I can't do it alone).

I live in Oregon...so allow for some regional difference...but it runs about $4 to $4.25 per bird to have it butchered, plucked, cleaned and handed back to you in a nice little package. I think it is technically $1 per pound most places.

I'll link the facility that does it here so you can see their pricing and what it entails:
    http://harringtonpoultry.com/

Good luck in your endeavor...sounds like a good way to bring in some extra cash if you have the time and facility.

LofMc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by