Butchering, storing, roasting help please

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by scChickn, Aug 26, 2008.

1. scChickn

scChickn New Egg

Mar 11, 2008
    I took my chickens to a local processing place today (not up to butchering myself yet), and they are now good to go. I kept them on ice on the way home, now I was about to put them in the freezer.

But wait, am I supposed to just keep them in the fridge for a while? Someone help me with that one. I was going to freeze them immediately, but I think that's wrong.

Assuming that question gets answered, let's say I have a frozen solid whole chicken, 3 kids, 2 jobs, and no time. What is the easiest way to safely defrost and roast a whole chicken? Ideas? If I had my way, I'd be able to just throw a frozen chicken in the slow cooker for, you know, all day... and be done with it. Not sure that would work though...

Thanks

2. Becaco

Becaco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    I don't know about your other questions, but I wouldn't put a frozen chicken in the slow cooker.

By the time it thawed and cooked, I would be afraid that the slow heat would spoil it.

3. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    How many chickens are we talkin' about here?

Me, personally, I'd maybe keep a couple whole, and the rest I'd cut up (legs, thighs, breasts, etc) and depending on how many you have... I'd even piece and pack some of the same pieces together.... like a pack of breasts. Then thighs and legs together maybe?

I'd think you can thaw out a whole chicken the same way you do a thanksgiving turkey that's been frozen. In the refrigerator for a couple days. Though a chickens smaller, so it wouldn't take as long.

As a busy mom (of 5) myself... I tend to cook meat first, and then package it to how I'd use it. like chopped up chicken meat portioned out for casseroles/tacos or whatever we'd eat w/ it. I'd keep legs and thighs uncooked/frozen and packaged together... then thaw out prior to using and cook once thawed (thaw in refrigerator)

Have fun!

4. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    I take my frozen chicken out of the freezer a day or two before I need it and thaw it in a big bowl on the bottom shelf of the fridge. If you are in a hurry then you can add water to the bowl while it thaws.

One of the best ways to save yourself time is to sit down and write a flexible menu for your week. Then figure out which meat you can cook ahead and freeze. Cook hamburger with spices for taco, put the marinade in a bag with the chicken if you are going to roast, cook and shred the chicken for stews etc.

It sounds like it is more work, but it helps so much throughout the week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by