1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

butchering today

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Tikkajazz94, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

So, it came to time when my dad said "You have to many (I only have 10)" So we agreed to keep the ones with white. (I know there is a male in there). So 5/10 have white. But one that doesn't only has it on its chin, And I know its a male, since it fluffed up and made a noise when I separated them. So keeping 6/10 and my Dad told me "I would butcher 2 more." I was like 'Ah no, since their molting, Their breeding season it over and ITs harder to tell with out the foam if there male or female. And If I butcher two more, I run the risk of only having females.' He was like 'Oh.'

2. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Sounds like you diverted a catastrophic situation. [​IMG]

3. Tikkajazz94

Quote:haha...pretty easy the butcher, The hardest part was saying 'Thank you' and Chopping their head off. I've been raise in a family, that if you butcher an animal, We always say "thanks' For the joy of having them around and Thanks for the meat.

4. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    A person needs to be thankful for their food.

So when is the quail feast?

5. rittert3

rittert3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Ks (Manhattan area)
    I think that is one of the best ideas I've ever heard.

6. Tikkajazz94

Ideas? Saying thanks for their lives? or The Quail feast?

7. Missi

Missi Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Naples, FL
    Quote:[​IMG] Good on you & your family for that!

8. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Quote:you never heard of eating quail???

we do jumbo browns just so i can quickly identify what i do and dont want and separate most males into pens... for table fare of course... 90% of hens go into a growout pen to become layers or breeders. now i use jumbo hens strickly for their eggs and nothing else. jumbo males...butchered at 8 weeks. same with a&m males.. all fancy colors are "breeders" only and have their own pens/colonies as well... after butcher time i will go from 120+ birds to 70 or so... soon we will be butchering...

9. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland

we do jumbo browns just so i can quickly identify what i do and dont want and separate most males into pens... for table fare of course... 90% of hens go into a growout pen to become layers or breeders. now i use jumbo hens strickly for their eggs and nothing else. jumbo males...butchered at 8 weeks. same with a&m males.. all fancy colors are "breeders" only and have their own pens/colonies as well... after butcher time i will go from 120+ birds to 70 or so... soon we will be butchering...

I wish i had that many birds just stored away.

Side note on butchering . I find it easier to put the head in the disposal then cut. That way it isnt visable to you. Sometimess helps

10. Tikkajazz94

I wish i had that many birds just stored away.

Side note on butchering . I find it easier to put the head in the disposal then cut. That way it isnt visable to you. Sometimess helps

Actully, It was easier for me to kill the quail copmared to when I had chickens, I was so attached to them. But I'm slowly getting closer to my quail... But I know I couldn't kill my Peafowl If I was starving.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by