Butler bobs & cotunix

Discussion in 'Quail' started by doxies1, Jan 25, 2011.

1. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    Can I put a few butler bobs in with my coturnix for a while , while I build an additional pen? The pen is 9'x12' and there are about40 coturnix in it.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Bad Mojo Here. Not Saying You Cant....but I Certainly Dont Recommend It As It Usually Initates "quail Wars" In Which The Bob Whites Will Get To Showcase Their Almost "navy Seal-like" Skills

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Good way to feed the butler bobs some protien, my guess they will kill a few of the corturnix.

4. doxies1

doxies1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2010
    West centeral Maryland
    That is why I asked. I thought that might be the case.

5. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    If the corturnix had alot of places to hide, it could work . they are no match for bobs. I give my bobs lots of room , so that keeps the pecking down.

6. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:I don't have Coturnix. I only have Bobs. But I will say this.......from what I've read about "the other breeds", I don't think there's a breed that could hold a candle to the aggressive, violent nature of the Bob when their "kick-butt" switch gets flipped to the ON position. I don't know this for certain, but if the Coturnix had to hide to survive, I would submit they'd be in that hide-out 99.9% of the time. If the Bobs can't stand their own kind at sporadic moments of any given day, I would not chance putting another breed in there with them.

7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:I don't have Coturnix. I only have Bobs. But I will say this.......from what I've read about "the other breeds", I don't think there's a breed that could hold a candle to the aggressive, violent nature of the Bob when their "kick-butt" switch gets flipped to the ON position. I don't know this for certain, but if the Coturnix had to hide to survive, I would submit they'd be in that hide-out 99.9% of the time. If the Bobs can't stand their own kind at sporadic moments of any given day, I would not chance putting another breed in there with them.

[​IMG] only way i could see it working, still would be a big risk. Heck not sure they could hide long enought.

8. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Or Hide Well Enough.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by