Butlers, A&M, Jumbo Pharoh???

Discussion in 'Quail' started by emsevers, Feb 5, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I'm looking on ebay for some hatching eggs (unless anyone has some available on here) and I can't figure out which ones I want. There's a picture of a guy holding some Butler Bobwhites and they look huge. Someone elses's ad said that their pharohs are huge. And then I've heard that A&Ms are really big. I really want them for meat and then I would like to keep some for eggs to hatch. So which ones are better for eating?

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:pharoahs are tiny so ignore that ad for sure

A & Ms or Butler Bobwhites...but i dont know much about the bobwhites other than they're big. [​IMG] A &Ms lay more, have white meat and as long as you get from a relyable source you're looking at big birds.

my biggest is 12 something oz which isnt HUGE but he's a big girl [​IMG]

3. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    Do you know how often Butlers lay? How often do A&M's lay. I'm not really looking for eggs to eat because I'll eat my chicken eggs. I really just want them for incubation. So once they start laying how often do A&M's lay compared to Butlers?

4. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:someone else will have to reply for the butlers
    but coturnix will lay year round, daily and this includes the A & Ms. They may take a day off when they're first starting up but yeah every day just like a chicken. Their natural breeding/laying season though is from march to october. I'll look up info on butlers for ya while we wait for someone with more experience on them to reply [​IMG]

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Egg Production - Butler Bobwhite Quail

The number of eggs per hen varies, depending on breeder characteristics, breeder selection, and your general management program.

Guide For Number Of Eggs Per Hen

Normal mating season (no artificial light) _______________________ 50 - 100 eggs

Normal mating season (artificial light, 17-hours total)______________ 70 - 150 eggs

Preseason or year around production (17-hour or all-night light) ____ 150 - 200 eggs

When using artificial lights, remember never decrease the total hours of light per day during the laying season. If you decide on a 17-hour day, this means more hours of artificial light when the days are short and less when the days are long, if your breeders are exposed to daylight.

Having a light turned on at dark in you outside turkey, pheasant, or chukar pens will start them laying early and they will lay more eggs per season

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Coturnix mature and can start laying as soon as 6-8 weeks of age, and those eggs take only 16-18 days to hatch...and in 6-8 weeks you'll have meat on your table (though waiting 12 weeks for meat birds is best as they're at their biggest then but at 8 weeks they're pretty big too).

Butler bobwhites mature at 5 1/2 months old... sooo lol

7. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I just read that. That is a really long time to wait for them to mature. I was thinking maybe I'd go with both. Then I can compare the two and see what I like best. I don't know what to do. The bobwhites that I just hatched out are great. They are a month old now but they are going to my father in law. So I want to get some eggs as soon as possible to replace them.

Does anyone have any A&M eggs for sale right now or is my only option ebay at this point.

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I don't know of anyone personally with any right now [​IMG] I cant wait for spring! [​IMG]

9. emsevers

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I can't either. I really got into all this at the end of Fall early Winter so I haven't even experienced Spring yet. I can only image how crazy everything is going to get on here once the warm weather starts.

10. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:same here really....welli started in july i think it was but i was only focused on quail......and now that im ALSO focused on chickens now..im excited to see how crazy it's going to be on here in the spring! I Hope that it's going to be even hard fo rme to keep up with what i need to sell and buy! LOL! a little bit of hecticness never hurt anyone [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by