Butt paste?

Farm Chic 29

In the Brooder
Mar 21, 2015
Ok so my local feed store was having a promotion. Buy 50 pounds of feed get 6 chicks. Since I had purchased 6 chicks for 18 dollars from another vendor.. this seemed like a sweet deal. I have a shipment of "rares" coming from Mc Murray and I wanted to stock up on feed. (Locally here they get white Leghorns, barred rocks, and "production reds").
The issue is I agreed to take 6 of the production reds with the second 50 pound bag as I already have 11 white Leghorns, and I had 5 who knows what (RIT/production red?) I had 7 but we had a horrible storm and long story short 2 got smashed in the chicken pile so to speak.
So I thought I will take 6 of the production red that and been sequestered because they are "injured"???
Thinking to nurse them...
I get them home to my little herd/flock of 11 whites/5 reds...and I put the 6 new barred rocks (1st 50# of feed)..and then I carefully examine the little production reds... they are smaller and I am thinking about holding them out separate...
and 5 of the 7 are fine...(they gave me 1 bonus one for taking damaged promo chics??.. generosity is overwhelming) lol
Anyway 2 of them had what appeared to be pasty butt... I did something stupid on the first one...
yes.... I pulled off the poop plug and tore her little anus skin a little...
(I am not happy with me and my stupidity right now)... then I went "you idiot..this is pasty butt you have heard about.."
so i gently cleaned little hen #2's behind... and no trauma..
I pulled them out and they are in the kitchen... in a teeny makeshift brooder..
and I went back and purchased some Carona to put on her little bottom.. it works miracles on goats/horses etc..so I thought it cannot hurt her little vent/butt more than i already did... still kicking myself..

and I see the young man and say..hey those chis are not "hurt" they have pasty butt... he said "I know".. we putt some stuff on them that is dark and tastes bad so the other chics will not peck them...
he walked away..I am puzzled...
did we already have some vent issue.. that got pecked and bled..and that was a scab..not poo???

They applied this med...(There was none on all the well birds)...

any idea what this might be...
ideas how to make it up and what TLC my little girl might need...

please no bad remarks.. you can't say anything mean to me I have not said to myself about that moment of stupidity!!!

They may have used peck no more. It is dark in color and tastes bad. I would clean the area and put some triple antibiotic on it til it heals. Dont beat yourself up, you didn't know what they had done. Give them some yogurt or boiled egg as a treat and will help if the poo does stick to the area.

Thank you,
I will get tab ointment tomorrow..I do not have any at home..but did apply the Carona...
I have gently cleaned their vent again.. making sure no new poo is hanging around..
they seem to not mind being sequestered just the 2 of them right now..
I am hoping they are better by Tuesday am...enough to put them in the group...
or my house sitter is going to have some extra work...

the best laid plans.. (I have to go out of town from Tuesday early am..to late Saturday.. so 5 days..)
originally I was looking forward to it as I was dying to see how much bigger all the girls looked when I was not seeing them every day....

but the life of a farm...
(I am recently returning back to country life... after MANY years away..)
and let me say things are slightly different.....

thanks for the info and encouragement...

They will look all grown up in not seeing them for 5 days. You should see improvement before you leave. Glad you have them and care enough to treat this problem. Congratulations on the move back to farm life. I too recently decided to get back to it. I am loving the challenges and the rewarding hard work. Be safe on your trip.

Back
Top Bottom