Butt Pecking

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by max13077, Dec 18, 2009.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I had this happen last year too. I'm going to try pine tar. I tried finding it at dicks sporting goods, but they didn't have any. I found they have it at tractor supply co, but it say's it's for horse hooves. Same stuff? Don't laugh, I wanted to make sure.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about human butts, Lol! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I came in here to see if you were talking about the men in our lives.
    [​IMG]

4. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Pine tar sounds like adding insult to injury for the poor girls who have been picked. We used a red light bulb, and blue cote when they were still young. Most recently we separated the wounded hen, and I also grabbed the bad hen and got an emery board and filed off the sharp edges of her beak. She can still eat, but she can not grab and hold the feathers long enough to pull them out. I think they get grumpy this time of year. It must be the gloomy days. Nothing better to do so they pluck a chicken. The only time I have had feather pulling issues is when we have dreary rainy overcast days that last and last... and last...
    Come to think about it, I'm ready to pluck something too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by