Butt picked raw - HELP!Updated with ???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Reinbeau, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I can't believe this happened so fast. One of my buff orp's butt feathers have been all picked out - and her bum is red and raw. They won't leave her alone. What do I do?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  2. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Go put some Vick's Vapor Rub or Mentholatum on her butt. You can also buy the Pick Stop at the Farm and Ranch Store. Vick's is cheaper.

3. Reinbeau

Vick's it is. They didn't have the Pick Stop at the farm store anyways, they said it was an old time remedy that they couldn't get anymore [​IMG] They recommended that Blue Coat (or whatever it is) stuff. I told them Vick's had been suggested, they said go for it and let them know how it works. We'll see!

I had turned on thier heat lamp, the temp had gone down to 70 and I was afraid they would be too cold, they're only 12 days old yet. It quickly went up over 75. Was this sudden increate in heat the cause of the feather picking? Do they need to be kept that warm still? They didn't seem to be complaining about a lack of heat, it was just their nervous nellie mother who thought she knew better. Advice?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Blukote would work too it just covers the skin to hopefully get them to stop picking

5. MissChessy

MissChessy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:Is it cold where you are located? Are your chicks spreading out? If they are spreading out, they are too hot. Where do you have your chicks? Outside, Inside? Chicks should start off at the beginning with 90 degree heat and the temperature is decreased as they age each week. So if your chicks are 12 days old, their temperature should range around 75-80 degrees, that is if it is cool where they are at, however if it is hot, you shouldn't have to worry about them being warm enough. It is blazing hot here in Texas, almost 100 degrees here where I'm at. Whew!

Be careful with the blue kote, it stains really bad and you can get it on your clothing. If you get the blue kote, you have to use alcohol to get the bluing off your skin. Some chicks shake after you apply it and you can get to be polka dotted with blue dots all over you. Just a warning. [​IMG]

Let me know if they quit picking.

6. Reinbeau

MissChessy, they're in my spare bedroom in a big cardboard box (and I do mean big) with two roosts they're just learning to all use. The room is overall warm. They aren't huddled together at all, as though they were cold, they're running around like little chicks, at night they're on the roosts (it's so cute!) The temp is averaging about 75 in there right now and I really think they are content. We just went through a really hot spell for us at 100 degrees, they definitely didn't need the heat lamp then!

So far I have not seen more picking, little Stumpy Butt got some more Vick's rubbed on her this morning and they seem to be leaving her alone. I didn't buy the Blue Coat stuff and won't for now, the Vick's seems to do the trick.

I do think, though, that the red heat lamp seems to make them a bit crazy, especially at night, last night they just wouldn't settle down until I went in there and shut it off. They were really rather frantic with it on! I didn't turn it on this morning, and they seemed fine. They won't be going out until the end of June (the coop isn't finished yet, either!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by