Butt Picking???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2 britts, May 6, 2011.

1. 2 britts

2 britts Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2011
    East Tn.
    I have or had 18 2 1/2 week old chicks in a large livestock watering tank(brooder) in my garage. There are 5 light brahmas,7 dark brahmas,2 SLW,3B Rand 1 NH. They are checked on many times during the day. Last night when I was putting everyone to bed for the night I noticed one of the lt. brahmas tail was red and a little bloody. I quickly removed it from the rest and an antibiotic ointment on the injured area and placed it in a small brooder by itself. This morning I checked the ones in the garage and everything was fine. I checked this afternoon and 2 more were the same way except not as bad and yes they are lt. brahmas
    also. None of the others are showing signs of this problem just the lt. brahmas. They were all hatched together so they are all the same age. What's up with this?

2. Ms.Frizzle

Ms.Frizzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Wisconsin
    Maybe you want to upgrade to a bigger bin? Put on a red heat lamp?

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Oh! *whew*

I thought for a minute my boys got out of the house.

4. 2 britts

Jan 26, 2011
    East Tn.
    The stock tank is almost 3'x4' and I do have a red heat lamp but I also have a white light too that is on a timer.

5. countrychick14

countrychick14 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2011
    I had some leghorn pullets do the same thing, start picking at each other. 4 out of 6 had bad bloody spots on them. I put pine tar on the injuries after I doctored them up, put a red light on them and had to move them to a bigger pen. There were only 6 of them in a 4X3 brooder box. Ever since I moved them they have been doing wonderful . I think they just get bored and start picking. Best of luck to you! [​IMG]

6. 2 britts

Jan 26, 2011
    East Tn.
    Quote:Boys will be boys you know!!

7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:that's not nearly enough room for 18 chicks. Please get them more room....as quickly as you can.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That isn't much room for that many. They get rambunctious at that age. Truthfully, they are probably too hot with that much body heat in close quarters with a red light and a white one, too!

9. 2 britts

Jan 26, 2011
    East Tn.
    Split the chicks up into 2 different brooders(have another if needed) and took away the white light. All seem to be doing fine so far. Thanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by