Butter cream

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by kdcrws, Nov 19, 2008.

1. kdcrws

kdcrws Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    I'm in need of a good butter cream frosting recipe [​IMG]

2. wexfordwoman

wexfordwoman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2008
    County Wexford Ireland
    Hi KDCRWS I don't know exact measurments but, if you put some iceing suger ( not sure what you call it over there) into a bowl and then just add butter and mix it untill it becomes creamey taste to see if you need to add more iceing sugar or more butter. You can add different flavours using drinking chocolate powder, or if you get them there drops of flavourings such as lemon, vanilla etc. Hope this helps it's not exact but it works for me.

3. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Quote:Would this be confectioners sugar? This sounds like a quick and easy recipe!

4. kdcrws

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    thanks...I've done it this way but seems to melt really fast. my g-ma used to use shortning but lord u'd have a film in ur mouth after eating it....is there a happy medium?

5. wexfordwoman

wexfordwoman Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2008
    County Wexford Ireland
    It could be confectioners sugar, not really sure is that really fine, and can you use it for dusting cakes? If yes then I presume it's the same thing. The trick when doing it this way is to taste it as you go, that way you don't put too much butter or too much iceing sugar, it usually sticks well for me and using different flavourings and colourings you can change it to suit the person your making it for depending on their taste. Forgot to mention the colouring before but just put a couple of drops in at the end and beat like mad. should have said, best kept in the fridge untill nearly ready to eat especially if the weathers hot.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  6. kdcrws

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Down here we just say powdered sugar. Think it will hold together better now in cooler weather. [​IMG] thanks for the tips!

7. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    Try it with cream cheese instead of butter.

8. kdcrws

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Quote:that sounds YUMMY!

9. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Buttercream Icing

1/4 Cup butter or margarine
    1/4 Cup Crisco
    1 lb. powderedsugar,sifted
    1 tsp. vanilla
    3 - 4 tsp. milk
    dash of salt

Combine all together in a bowl, and beat well with a mixer.
    Too thick add TINY amount of milk, too thin add more powdered sugar. This is the recipe I always use and it's good.

I will also add this, if you are making a cake like strawberry or orange cake, I add the juice (orange juice, strawberry juice) instead of the milk. It adds more flavor and the purpose of the milk is to water it down anyway.

10. kdcrws

Aug 18, 2008
    L.C. FL
    Quote:That sounds like the Happy medium!!! THank U! Making sugar cookies with kids soon so will try out ur recipe! Thanks again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by