butter molds

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by spurrer, Jun 25, 2016.

1. spurrer

spurrer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2016
    Attalla, Ala
    Today I made butter for the first time. I bought a pint of heavy cream and put it in a large glass jar and shook it until it turned to butter. I was so proud. I had bought an old time butter mold off e-bay and put the butter in there and placed in the refrigerator. But It wouldn't turn loose of the mold. I ran a thin knife around it and it finally came out but the pretty little stamp on the top was all messed up. I know there is a way to do this because my mama used to but I don't remember how she did it. Should I have done something special to the mold before I put the butter in? I felt so pioneery until my butter stuck. Darn!

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    Maybe spray a vegetable oil inside the mold first? Or run warm water on the outside to soften it enough to pop out?

3. spurrer

May 5, 2016
    Attalla, Ala
    Thanks, I will try both. Ate some on my biscuits this morning. Very good. Made me feel like little house on the prairie.

4. ShannonR

ShannonR Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2015
    northern California
    Did you rinse all the buttermilk and liquid from your butter before putting it into the mold? I am thinking it would set better in the mold if there isn't liquid still in it, it also keeps much longer when you rinse your butter.

5. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    I make small batches every so often and yes you need to rinse.

6. spurrer

May 5, 2016
    Attalla, Ala
    yes, I put cold water in it and worked it and then poured the liquid off. I did that until the water ran clear. Maybe I didn't get quite all of the liquid out that I could. I tried to do it like I used to see my mama do. But she had a wooden paddle and I only had a plastic spreader. Next time I will try working it longer.

7. ShannonR

ShannonR Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2015
    northern California
    Some people strain it off with cheesecloth or the like after rinsing. I think its messy and wastes alot of butter that way.
    I like to use a couple of paper towels and dab at rinsed butter to try to get as much liquid out as I can without making a huge mess.

Good luck with your mold though.

8. spurrer

May 5, 2016
    Attalla, Ala
    I finally got molding butter down pat. I soak the mold in water for awhile and then put it in the freezer. Before I put the butter in I give it a light spray with Pam. After I fill the mold I sit it in the refrigerator until it is firm, unmold it and wrap and place in freezer. Now when my brother helps me with something I give him butter and eggs. He calls it Jane's butter. I feel so proud of myself when I am shopping and I pass up the eggs and the butter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by