Buttercup?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lovinlife, Mar 12, 2011.

1. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

I purchased some chicks from a friend who ordered an Ornamental Layer Collection from McMurray. They're doing a mix of the ornamental layers and the rarest of rare collection. I ended up with 6 chicks after we distributed them all. One chick has me baffled. After searching the MM site, I think what I have could be a Buttercup. What do you think?

a few days old:
    [​IMG]
    on the left
    [​IMG]

4 weeks old:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    With those willow green legs I don't know what else it might be. In the last picture I think I can see the cup comb forming. Looks like a pullet.

3. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

Thanks. I've looked at the chickens in their collections and it seems that's the only thing she could be. I was hoping to hear from some people who have raised Buttercups for some confirmation. Thanks for your input! [​IMG]

4. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Songster

I think it might be an EE, just doesn't have the typical beard. Hatcheries seem to concider them rare... if I'm right I'd say a pullet and that will make for an excellent colorful egg basket.

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    She's colored like a Buttercup, but the comb isn't right for one. She would already have the little cup shaped comb by now.

6. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I agree, Buttercup combs are very obvious even when they are day old chicks. I belive that you have a Golden Penciled Hamburg.

7. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    No fluffy cheeks, not an EE. Not a single comb, so it's not a Golden Campine. Must be a Buttercup [​IMG]

8. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    [​IMG]

This is a Golden Pencilled Hamburg chick. (pic from feathersite) I think Lbrad7 is right.

9. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    I'm going with Golden Penciled Hamburg too

10. NYREDS

NYREDS Crowing

Jan 14, 2008
    Hamburgs have slate legs, this bird has willow legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: