Buttercups....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Mountain Sunshine, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Mountain Sunshine

Mountain Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Our new darling little Buttercups.....Lucy & Ethel!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    They are so pretty. Is it true that they aren't good at confinement? That's what made me take them off my list.

3. 3rocksandme

3rocksandme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    Brookline, NH
    they are gorgeous!

4. Mountain Sunshine

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Thank you!

They do free range, but they have not had any problem with being in the coop or the run. They even come up to us and let us hold them.

5. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    I want one! so cool.

6. Mountain Sunshine

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    They are soooo sweet. They make these little beeping noises. They follow me everywhere I go in the yard. And they stick with each other like glue! They never part from one another.

7. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I raise Sicilian Buttercups, I'll get some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Depends on how many you have about the confinement. I find that if I have a hatch of mostly Buttercups, I have a problem with them escaping from their little brooder tractor or run. Once they are 4 weeks I have to really watch them. Once they start laying though all is well. But to give you an idea. My garden fence is 8 feet tall to try to keep them out. My 6 foot property fences I let overgrow high with Passion vines and other vines, to keep them in. That doesn't always work. They are lightweights and can fly high.

I have noticed that people that just have 1 or 2 dont have the issues that I do. Right now I have 6 hens and 1 Roo that are settled. 2 pullets that are flighty and 14 5 week olds with 8 S BC/Crosses. They are behaving better than the batch that the 2 flighty ones came from (mostly S BC's).

Found out my camera was brooken, had to borrow one. Here are few of the girls. Sorry no real close ups.
    19 week old Sicilian Buttercup Pullet, getting ready to start laying soon.
    [​IMG]

The Roos tail and 2 of his hens and a NHR.
    [​IMG]

6 week old babies at the end of their tractor run. In a few weeks they will graduate to the run were the Roo is with his Hens in the next picture.
    [​IMG]

Sicilian Buttercups, Roo with Hens
    [​IMG]

This is Pretty Girl, a Sicilian Buttercup crossed with an Ameraucana that is Black and Gold. She is my favorite EE, also 19 Weeks old.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  8. mama2many

mama2many Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    I had one and she was no problem. She was brooded in a 4 feet tall box with a door in it. She didn't try to get out at all, and was kept with guineas and salmon faverolles. Big Mama was her name very tame and very sweet, she too followed me around, miss you big girl.

9. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I have 14 of them at the moment and they are so pretty...I really like them...they are confined at the moment to an 8'X20' dog run for their own safety...they seem to be doing well with it and are friendly...they always come runnning to the gate to see what I have brought for them...not at all spooky tho I was told they would be...I have spent lots of time with them so maybe that is the difference...will check and see if I have a photo saved to post...

here they are...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  10. cherylcohen

cherylcohen The Omelet Ranch

Sep 18, 2009
    SF East Bay CA
    Here's my princess at 20 weeks

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by