Butterflying/spatchcocking before gutting?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by clothAnnie, Aug 22, 2016.

1. clothAnnie

clothAnnie New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    Is this possible? I just butterflied a roaster chicken for the first time a few days ago, and *really* liked the result roasted. I've got five leghorn cockerels that need to become meat- as little of it as there is. Wondered if I could slaughter, defeather, then cut out the spine and gut them rather than reaching in and scooping out like I've done in the past (I've only processed maybe 20 birds total). Would I be able to cut along the spine with shears without nicking guts and stuff? Or should I just reach in like I usually do and scoop out.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I think someone here had a thread about doing this very thing. I was intrigued as some of my cockerels are young and have such small cavities it's hard to reach in. I'm not a small lady and I have the large hands to go with that [​IMG]. I'd sure give it a try. It may be a bit of a leaning curve with the shears, but even if you nick the intestine it will just wash off.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
  4. clothAnnie

clothAnnie New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks, Donrae! Ok- I will have to give it a try! The way shown cutting the breast side open with shears might be better as maybe the organs and all are more connected to the back but maybe I'll try both. Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by