Buttermilk Pie Anyone?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by txcarl1258, Nov 24, 2010.

1. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Does anyone have a recipe for Buttermilk Pie? My grandmother used to make it and it was out of this world. [​IMG]
    Thanks in advance!

2. maizey

maizey Chillin' With My Peeps

buttermilk pie

3 eggs
    3 tablespoons flour
    1/2 cup butter
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup buttermilk
    pinch of salt

cream the butter and sugar together. add eggs one at a time mixing well in between each addition. mix in the buttermilk and the flour and salt. Brown 2 regular pie crusts just a touch and have them cool. then pour into crusts and bake at 300 for an hour and a half. They will tend to bubble over so have a pan underneath.

This is my sisters recipe and I have always loved it too.. been a while since I made them! Hope its what youre looking for.

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    mmm sounds good. wonder if it would be better with a touch of vanilla?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  4. nelgkel

nelgkel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    FL
    After getting some raw buttermilk at the farmers market I searched online for a buttermilk pie. My grandmother made them too, but she could not find her recipe.

This is the one I found and I must saw it was AWESOME!!

1/2 cup raw butter
    1 1/3 cup sugar
    3 eggs separated
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 1/2 cup raw buttermilk
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    pinch of salt
    1 pie shell 9 inch~ I used deep dish and it was perfect

Cream the butter and sugar, add the egg yolks, beating after each addition. Beat in flour and buttermilk, add the lemon juice, lemon peel, nutmeg and a pinch of salt. Beat the egg whites until stiff, fold into the filling. Pour the filling into the pie shell, cook in center of a preheated 325* oven until the custard is set and slightly brown, about 1 hour. Serve with berries, fresh fruit or dessert sauce.

Next time I make this pie I am going to double the lemon juice. My husband and boys love tart stuff and this pie has a very nice fluffy top with custard filling and a light tartness due to the lemon. Also want to try it with lime!

Let us know how you like it...Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by