Buttermilk- why is it helpful & how to get birds to accept the stuff!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjthink, Sep 24, 2011.

1. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So I read in threads here and there that people give their birds buttermilk to help them when they're ailing. So I bought buttermilk, not really knowing whether useful or not. Anyway, my birds won't touch the stuff no matter what I mix it with. So I'm about to ditch a quart of buttermilk unless there's a suggestion that tickles their fancy! Any ideas most welcome [​IMG], and that includes any info about why folks think it is such a good thing. Thanks.
    JJ

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    I dont know about the quality of giving buttermilk to chickens but maybe you can try to add quick oats to the milk until it is porridge consistency
    They may eat it then

3. real_redhead

real_redhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Roanoke, VA
    If they won't eat it make some cornbread!

4. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    Try mixing some chopped apples, vitamin mineral mix that is sugary like durvet, a tsp to a cup of buttermilk, add flax seeds or granola or oats.

5. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Thanks [​IMG]
    I tried a mix of oats, flax seed meal, cut up apple bits, buttermilk and a bit of honey....(they have Avia Charge 2000 in their water daily - it's a nutritional supplement with V&M). Maybe its me because I haven't smelled buttermilk before but I detest the smell! Can't tell if that's what it's supposed to smell like or if it's bad! (dated 1010/11 and it's from the health food store but I sure as heck wouldn't drink anything that smells like that! Hope it's okay and that I'm not going to make my BJ roo sicker...). Anyway, they dabbled in it a wee bit....
    JJ

6. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    My daughter helps to milk a cow (in exchange for free milk products) and periodically has enough milk to make me some homemade buttermilk or something thicker like a yogurt. It is so yummy I always have a swig or two.
    If you can find a local farmer, try to get some fresh products, they are so much tastier.

7. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Sounds much better than this stuff which smells like bad milk!
    JJ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by