Button behavior- cowering male literally gets walked all over.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by gorabbitgo, Sep 24, 2012.

1. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    I've been watching my mated pair of buttons closely and i've noticed my male doing something strange. He will throw himself down in front of his hen and cower while making a little peep-peep-peep noise until she steps on him. She usually just walks over him like he's a little speed bump and keeps going where she's going, but that appears to be exactly what he wants.
    He's also done it while holding choice food bits in his beak, but she doesn't take the food.

Anybody else see their birds do this or have any insight on what the purpose is?

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Yep he is flirting with her but sounds like she is not interested. he will offer her food as he will feed her on the nest as well. If she is not picking on him she is just being "hard to get" but things will work out. If she is pecking on him watch to be sure she is not making him bleed if so you may need to try a different male. Good luck.

3. gorabbitgo

gorabbitgo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2012
    Okay, cool! Thank you for the information! I'm glad this is a normal thing.
    They've been mating and she's laid an egg every day since they got their own condo together, so maybe she just wasn't "in the mood" the few times i've observed the behavior. He's also been trying to feed her, but she's pretty bossy and independent. He holds tasty treats for her, and she pecks them out of his beak and drops them on the ground before picking them up for herself.

He keeps trying though. They're only 6-7 weeks old. They'll get it figured out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by