Button Eating Chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nancy1zak, May 26, 2010.

1. nancy1zak

nancy1zak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I have a large Buff Orpington...I almost thought she was a "he" because she is so much bigger then the other two, but she lays eggs. Everytime I go into their run she jumps up and tries to snatch the buttons off my sweater or shirt. Is this normal behavior? How do I get her to stop it?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    She just thinks they are treats.

Wish I had an answer for you. I'm still laughing thinking about it.

Sorry.

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  3. nancy1zak

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    She is a funny bird, but I wish she'd quit it. She seems so disappointed when the button doesn't come off for her. [​IMG]

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    By your title I thought you were saying your chicken was eating your Button quail... LOL

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

So your BO ATTEMPTS to eat your buttons, hasn't been successful yet? I was worried about buttons becoming crop fossils....

One of my hens nearly tore an earring out of my earlobe. I used to have long hair, but cut it short recently, and the shiny, silver & amber danglies (although quite short) attracted her attention.

6. nancy1zak

May 27, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I am assuming that she just notices the buttons and goes for them. None of the other chickens do it. She is also the same girl that noticed the holes in the top of my Crocs and decided to peck in the holes. I thought the Crocs would be perfect chicken run shoes. Guess not. I think we should start a thread about wacky chickens and their wacky behavior.

7. damselfish

damselfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    Ha ha, mine like to try to eat buttons too. They don't jump up on me while I'm walking, though. They will do it if I'm sitting there watching them.

I've said to them so many times "You can't eat that, it's a BUTTON", that I swear they understand. They look at me like, "Oh yeah, I forgot. Thanks for reminding me." Then they wander off: "See ya later then, button person."

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, yah, Crocs. They are my favorite shoes; I have pairs for work, for regular trekking about, and for the run & coops.

Those holes in the tops lure several of my chickens! They don't peck very hard..... but it IS startling if you don't expect it!!

9. turtlebird

turtlebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2009
    what a super cool way to explore the world....peck peck "Can I eat it?!"
    I would love to be a chicken just for a day [​IMG]

10. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:Yah.... Until it came time to lay an egg.... OUCH [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by