Button Eye Colours?

xxSonja

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Australia
soo... I just read on the Bracken Ridge Ranch website that all the normal 'Wild' coloured buttons have black eyes... BUT mine dont. only my females have black eyes.. my males have Red, i just thought that was another female/male diffrence
hide.gif

So, my question is what colour are Your buttons eyes?
( If you post yours can you let us all know the basics:wether its male/female, the birds colour, and then the important one- Eye Colour!)

Hi Sonja,
My adult male has lighter eyes than the females too. Red/brown, where the females all have dark eyes where you can't make out the middle of the eye at all.
I would love to find out if this would be a way to sex younger birds. It would be great if all we had to do is stare in their cute little eyes and know if it was a boy or a girl.

Cheers Martha

P.S. hows the move going?

Last edited:
It would be handy if it could be used as another gender ID trait!
Im also wondering if its region related? As i figure if a breeder the size of Bracken Ridge in the US would notice the eyes on their birds.
Maybe its mutation related? My Wild males have really vibrant beautiful Red eyes, and they all throw out silver chicks. But my Silver Males have the normal black eyes..

Oh and The move is getting closer slowly.. It'll be very early
tongue.gif
on Saturday morning the 13th.. Its gonna be an interesting trip with all the animals, but i think everything is organised, and im already packed so just gotta wait now
thumbsup.gif

Sonja,
There must be some reason to this eye colour thing. My roo has given me alot of silvers as well.
I had another look at my silvers and their eyes are dark.
I also noticed with my wild chicks, some are alot darker than others and still are as they are feathering out.
Anyways, I hope your move is on a cooler day. I moved last time in the heat and almost died.
I hate moving have too much stuff - I should say the kids have too much stuff.
I always pay for a couple of days early too, when I am going to move, so I can move the pets first and get them all set up.
Good luck and happy moving.

red eyes would be a mutation, also once you get use to the colors you will be able to start sexing them yoounger and younger I can almost always tell at about 2 weeks. The standard eye color is black

I just read that you are in AU and it is my understanding that red eyes are ssomething seen alot over there, I is very different Fallow mutation which was first called the pink eyed dilute it is a bird that is dilute in color. We DO see from time to time here in the US red eyes it is a mutation here. Again I have been told that red eyes are very common in AU you may want to look for info on a site the has more info about AU colors and mutations.

Just coz i got a decent pic i thought id put it up, One of my Wild roos, with the red eyes.
45249_redeye_button.jpg

ETA: ok after posting it doesnt appear to be as good a pic as i thought...new pic added..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom