1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Button Quail 8 weeks old just laid first batch of eggs!!! QUESTIONS!!!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jfulcher, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    First off they won't lay on them. I was told to expect this, so I am incubating them in a homemade incubator. Statement I know... Question... How long will it take for them to hatch? How often do I turn them? How often will my button lay? They are mating still so should I expect daily eggs now??? She has laid 3 eggs today in a matter of 5 minutes. I do have her on extra calcium, and great feed. Eggs did go without some warmth for about an hour or so will they still hatch???? They have nice firm shells and are well shaped. Anything else you can tell me is much appreciated. THANK YOU!!!!

2. TexasChris

TexasChris Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    1 hen laid 3 eggs in 5 minutes? She is a regular egg factory!

3. gamebirdboy

gamebirdboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Quote:1. It takes about 16 days.
    2. 3 plus times a day
    3. An egg every day or every other day
    4. Yes they will hatch, they don't have to be warm as soon as they are laid. They can sit for a week or so and you will still have a good hatch.

So one hen laid 3 eggs in five minutes? [​IMG]

4. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Yeppers. Pop pop pop... Out they came... I looked over and she had this look of discomfort and turned around and there was a "bubble" and out popped a egg, then a minute later another, then another.. Sat on them for 2 minutes and looked at them like nope not for me...

5. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:1. It takes about 16 days.
    2. 3 plus times a day
    3. An egg every day or every other day
    4. Yes they will hatch, they don't have to be warm as soon as they are laid. They can sit for a week or so and you will still have a good hatch.

So one hen laid 3 eggs in five minutes? [​IMG]

YES I am not kidding 5 minutes or less she popped the three out... She stood up, stretched and out one came. Stood up did it again and again...

6. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    What temp is the incubator supposed to be???

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    99.5 degrees F

8. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That depends on the type of incubator. If you have a still air you want it to be 100-101 degrees. If you have forced air you can use 99-100 degrees.

9. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Okay this might be a stupid question but I have it at 100 degrees on the dot. Is that okay? I know it is only .5 away but I wanted to be sure that it isn't going to cook them...

10. jfulcher

May 24, 2011
    Tucson, AZ 85712
    Quote:Well it would technically be considered a still air. Because it is made of a Styrofoam cooler and no fan,foil, night light, 4 watt bulb, a pill bottle of water for humidity duct taped to the side so it wont spill and drown the chick when they hatch. And a few holes poked through for circulation... Nothing fancy.... Cost me six bucks to make.... Oh and a thermometer.... Exactly 100 degrees F..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by