Button Quail Acting Strange

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Griffin Nest, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Griffin Nest

Griffin Nest Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    He's been my pet for about a year now and today when I was holding him he began making a strange moaning sound and he kept his mouth slightly open but he wasn't panting because I know what he looks like when he pants. Also, his eyes were watering. I went to check on him and he has himself buried in the shavings, but when I poked him he quickly got up and began chirping like he was fine.

2. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    anybody? he did it again today [​IMG]

3. Mibotsu

Mibotsu Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Balbriggan, Ireland
    do you have just one, or does he have a female with him...i don't know much on the personality patterns of button quail, but i have heard that they go best in pairs, and if he is alone....maybe just lonley?

quailladyoffortmyers might have a better explanation, as she deals in alot of buttons

4. Whitehouse Quail

Whitehouse Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    Is he overheating?

5. Griffin Nest

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    no, he lives with 2 other females so he's pretty happy. sometimes I see him give them food its cute.
    and with heat, i doubt it. its only about 75 degrees out. its only him thats acting this way. but, what do i expect?? He's the strange one. and i mean REALLY strange. i bought the eggs in august, and the eggs came during a heat wave, so they were boiling. he was one of the few that hatched. he was the last one out. when he came out, he had problems walking for the first 2 weeks. he would always sleep and stay in one spot, and only move to eat and drink. his right eye has been watering since he hatched (it still does). sometimes it stops,a dn sometimes it just waters. sometimes its so much that half of his face it wet! another weird thing about him: he' never afraid of ANYTHING. both my other quails freak out every time you go NEAR the cage, which is normal. but he is just something else. he LOVES being held. he runs beside me when i open the cage. the moment he feels a person touch him he closes his eyes and makes a cute snoring sound, and if you leave he will cry for about 2 minutes. and when he was little, he was the one i handled the LEAST!!! the one i handled the most as a baby is sacred of me now.

also, he might be a little stressed by past experiences. i may say that he's not scared of anything, but im sort of wrong. he's only scared when its absolutely necessary. like one time a few months ago, i let him out to get some light and my cat pounced at him out of nowhere. he did the right thing: he flew up and away. the bad part was that i live right next to a busy street. he landed in the street. and there were cars. lots of cars. i screamed and ran out to him in my pajamas. a car went by and he flew again into a tall dense tree. my cat sprinted toward him as he fell down branch by branch. i kicked my cat away and got my quail. no harm. no blood, no broken wings, legs, neck, nothing. it was the luckiest thing ever. when i held him he was shaking, but he began to fall asleep in my hands after 1 minute like nothing happened. also, about a week ago, i was holding him outside and a huge bird flew by really close. it scared him and he flew... again. i thought he would go into the street again, so i screamed.. again... but he didn't fall into the street. he fell in the middle of my freezing pool. he attempted to swim, but he was sinking rapidly. i stretched my arm out and got him. i dried him off with a dry warm towel for about an hour. he was fine.

boy, that quail... i love him to death.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by