Button Quail - Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Pet Duck Boy, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I've been making a few bucks with the extra eggs I've been getting from my girls, and after some convincing my parents decided it would be OK if I got a pair of button quail since we now know we have a pet-sitter who doesn't charge too much. The feed store has been selling them lately for 1.50 each. I plan to keep them in a ten gallon - since I'm only getting a sexed pair. Maybe if I'll get lucky, I'll have a female that will incubate her own eggs, or I'll just have to get a desktop incubator. Will a ten gallon work for the time being? I'll of course look into getting something bigger, or maybe make a small pen in my patio for the pair. I have the waterer, bedding, feeder, and "boink proof" tank top, but I don't have the feed. I went to our 2 local feed stores, but sadly neither carry what I was hoping for. One has MEDICATED game bird feed, 28% protein. I'm not sure if I should use that since its medicated? The other feeds include 16% layer, and 19% chick starter medicated with amprolium. Which one should I use? Or how should I use the feed? Suggestions for my setup will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. NeoRoey

NeoRoey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    I can't help you a lot with all your questions, but let me just tell you that I use an average bird cage from my Petco. The cheapest ones are around $25-$30. Quail eggs run at around a dollar each for a fertile one. 10 gallon aquarium should be enough, though. I give them gameird mash/feed yearround mixed with a tad of fruit-flavored parakeet feed and about 4 worms per bird as a snack on Thursdays.

3. chuck12

chuck12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    Indiana
    I feed my buttons non-medicated chick starter and supplement with hard boiled eggs and egg shell weekly.
    You can have a pair in a 10 gallon aquarium but they really like a bigger environment.

4. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:The chick starter that both of the feed stores offer are medicated, but with amprolium. I know amprolium is one of the safer additives, since you can eat eggs from hens who eat feed with it, and it's harmless to ducks even though any other medication would cause harm. Does it still cause male buttons to go sterile though? I definitely want fertile eggs. I was thinking of just going with the 16% protein layer crumbles, and grinding it up. The calcium percentage is 3.9, would the extra calcium harm the button roo?

5. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Button quail do not do well with medicated feed. In fact, it makes the males sterile over time. If you are breeding the birds, I do not recommend medicated gamebird starter...Try finding unmedicated feed. It will make your buttons happier [​IMG]

6. Nekhebet

Nekhebet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Erie
    Quote:Poor quail.... =O

7. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Right, but....even with feed medicated with amprolium? (Which isn't really a medication or antibiotic) Can I use the 16% layer and just supplement with high protein foods like boiled eggs and insects? Or will the extra calcium harm the male?

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    The extra calcium can be given to the male...I feed my pairs the same food. I just urge you not to keep them medicated feed.

9. Pet Duck Boy

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Quote:Ok, good. I'll definitely avoid the medicated. So I guess I'll go with the layer feed and extra protein feedings. Do you think a pair will do well in a 10 gallon, and breed well?

10. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    I would recommend a parakeet cage and take the wire floor out for each pair. Better ventilation that way. I house babies in aquariums because the heat can be kept inside the tanks nicely for the babies keeping them warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by