Button Quail Babies picking on toes

Trillium

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 3, 2008
Hi all,
My 13 chicks are 4 days old. I know its supposed to be common for them to experiment with pecking things, especially their worm-resembling toes. But they are all picking on just one handicapped chick (his toes don't move)and now its bleeding. I can't seem to get the bleeding to stop - it looks dried up yet its still dabbing on the paper towels. I figured since he's handicapped he's just a sitting target and I tried to isolate this poor chick in a separate tank. But boy! He went crazy, running into the glass until he flips and cheeping loudly for his siblings. This ended up exasberating the prob. I ended up putting him back in with his enemies just to calm him down.
Any ideas on how to handle this?
hmm.png
This is my first brood, so I'm lacking any grain of experience. Thanks!
~T~

They could be doing for this a couple reasons. First thought is because they know he's handicapped..survival of the fittest. Second thought is brooder conditions..if anything irritates a quail, they get into a pecking habit. Could it be too warm or too cool for them? What's the brooder temp?

Jody

Thanks for the reply.
smile.png
I think it's more the survival of the fittest because they aren't pecking eachother... just him. the brooder temp is between 92 and 95 on the warmer side (it fluctuates between these temps now and then) with one side cooler than the other. They are all eating heartily and drinking. There is a hide box towards the cooler side that they don't seem interested in.

Back
Top Bottom