Button quail bleeding from ears *pics*

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Aug 3, 2008.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Weirdest thing; they've never picked on each other before - I have 4 together and they are hatch-mates, 7 weeks old. The blood is dried and I separated it from the others. It has been eating and drinking fine all day and doesn't seem lethargic at all. Should I clean it or leave it be? Put something on it or no?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They are hitting sexual maturity and are probably pecking due to puberty issues.

I'd just keep a close eye on them - you may have to separate if it gets too violent.

Males especially, can be very territorial and won't tolerate other males in their area.

How big is their pen/enclosure? How many do you have in there?

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I have 4 in a big plastic tub/bin, roughly (am at work so can't measure it) 2x3 feet or so? Maybe a little bigger than that.

How old are they usually when the males get their masks? Isn't that how you tell male from female usually? None of these have masks but I understand the whites won't. The other 3 aren't white.

4. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    http://www.buttonquailusa.com/housing.html

I'm
    no expert by any means - my first group are just 7 wks old also, but I do know overcrowding will make them peck each other... Try the link above and see what info you can find there. I've found that site to be pretty helpful.

5. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Will check it out - thanks! These are the oldest ones I've ever had. I usually sell them all and don't get to keep any for myself!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by