Button Quail - Boys? Girls? Colors? Help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by maggienchamp, Jun 4, 2012.

1. maggienchamp

maggienchamp Chirping

Aug 22, 2011
    A little less than 6 weeks ago I hatched Button Quails for the first time ever! Out of 18 eggs, 9 of them hatched [​IMG] Now that they are of age, I was hoping you guys could help me figure out genders and colors!

Right now I have just two cages, one is about 2x the size of the other, so I have 6 Buttons in the bigger cage and 3 in the smaller one. Once I determine the genders, I will be seperating them into as many pairs possible (depending on the female/male ratio). Then I will have to come up with something for the remaining Buttons. Any advice is appreciated!

Here are the pics:
    [​IMG]
    (#'s 1-4) I have four of these guys - they are males, correct?

[​IMG]
    (#'s 5 & 6) The button on the left is quite different compared to the others, she is the only one I have of that color. And the button on the right I have two of :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (#7)

[​IMG]
    (#'s 8 & 9)

Currently I have buttons #8, 9, and then one of the four males in the smaller cage together. The rest are living in the larger cage :) They all seem to be doing great and getting along very well.

Thanks!

2. the outdoorsman44

the outdoorsman44 Songster

Jun 22, 2011
    Chandler, AZ
    the first picture is a red or blue, i don't know but it is the red/blue breasted button quail.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Songster

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    #1-4 look to be male blue breasted possibly a cinnamon
    5-6 not sure 5 looks like a female does she have red tail feathers? a classic sign of a male
    7 looks like a female red breasted
    8 looks like a female silver
    and 9 looks like a male to #5 not sure what color is called, maybe a pied? see his bib under the chin another classic sign of a male

hope this helps or you can look here for more help:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/Buttonquail411/

4. Monopoly

Monopoly In the Brooder

May 24, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    all apart from the top are females
    just wondering what colour where the parents do you know sorr i counldn't be more help

5. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Songster

Feb 5, 2011
    #1. black-faced male
    #2. bird on the left is a blue breasted female, bird on the right is a red breasted female
    #3. blue-faced cinnamon female
    #4.cinnamon female
    #5. silver-red breasted female

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: