Button Quail-Brooder Temp Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tiffanyh, Dec 8, 2007.

1. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi everyone.

For those of you who have had/hatched button quail: At what rate do you drop the temps in the brooder? Five degrees weekly like chicks? It is cold where they are so I dont want to drop it to quickly but at the same time I dont want to pay for the electric to run the heat lamp if it is not needed.....

My last group I got at 8 weeks and it was summer so I never worried about temps. These are my first group of babies....

Oh--I put this in hatching--sorry Mods if it should have been in other poultry.

2. jkcove08

jkcove08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Actually I never changed the temp. I used a 10 gallon aquarium and there was enough room so that they could move back and forth as needed from the heat lamp on one end. Then I moved them to the large aquarium when they were fully feathered. Jenn

3. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    When are they fully feathered? They are about 8 weeks now and I am thinking of leaving light off during the day and on at night. What do you think?

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    Mine hatched a month ago and they are fully feathered and I took the heat lamp away about 12 days ago.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  5. jkcove08

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    8 weeks old is fine to be without a light. They can start laying eggs as early as 6 weeks. Good luck, Jenn

6. jkcove08

Apr 12, 2007
    Iowa
    Hey Ivy, how are they doing, I cant believe it has already been a month.lol Jenn

7. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    They are so pretty and the colors are beautiful. They sure do eat alot for a tiny bird! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by