Button quail butchering????

Discussion in 'Quail' started by jimbo1989, Jan 1, 2017.

1. jimbo1989

jimbo1989 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    springfield ma
    Does anyone process their button quail for meat ?the eggs are senseless and aside ornamental pet bird ,I wondered if there's any good amount of meat from them ....???

2. LoveInNature

LoveInNature Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2016
    Brisbane Australia

Interesting comment about the eggs. This is the reason I keep my quail. Perhaps you only have one bird. 1 egg per day wouldn't give you a great feed.

It also may be that you haven't discovered quail egg scissors. I love my eggs each morning.
    [​IMG]

3. jimbo1989

jimbo1989 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    springfield ma
    I actually have four coturnix which the eggs are amazing .im incubating button this week and curious about their meat the egg comment was in reference to button quail egg size .its just an experiment.i prefer the meat and eggs from my cots so far and less of a smell then the bobwhites I've had

4. LoveInNature

LoveInNature Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2016
    Brisbane Australia

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed the eggs would be the same size as the Coturnix. My girls produce 9-11gm eggs so 5 is the equivalent of a large chicken egg. As you can see I prefer extra large on my breakfast.

So after your description, and as gorgeous as Button quail are, I doubt whether I will be getting any.

I will watch this space for a response on the meat flavour though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by