Button Quail Cage Questions

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Denninmi, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    TIA for any help you can offer.

I have to come up with permanent housing for my baby button quail once they're out of the rubbermaid storage bin brooder in another few weeks. I have 7 of them -- it appears my last one that was so weak may survive after all, as it is now perked up a lot and is acting pretty normally, eating and drinking really well almost as if to make up for lost time.

I figured that I would probably have to make some kind of cages for these birds, but I went to the Petco near my work on lunch the other day just to check anyway, and lo and behold, they had some large finch cages on clearance for around $20 each, regular price was $65. For that price, with materials, considering my time, I probably couldn't do any better if I made my own cages. So, I bought all 3 of them they had for sale (as well as a really nice large cockatiel cage for $18 -- I see diamond doves in the near future!)

These cages are about 22 inches X 34 inches and are roughly 18 inches tall -- a low rectangular shape that should be ideal for button quail once I pad the top to prevent head injuries. The bars are very close together, since they were designed for small birds like finches. Wire insert over the tray which I think would be good to ensure cleanliness.

1) Does this sound like appropriate housing for buttons?

How many per cage -- I was thinking that I couldn't keep more than 3 together, which is why I bought all 3 of the cages they had for sale?

2) When the time comes to separate them, how will I know who should go with whom? Boys together with boys, girls with girls, or pairs?

Also, will it be traumatic separating them since they were raised together? Or, will they turn agressive towards each other anyway as they reach sexual maturity and this will be necessary?

And, should I plan on keeping the cages all together in one room so they can "talk" to each other, or would it be better to have them in different rooms so they aren't stressed out due to territorial issues?

Thank you.

2. Rozzie

Rozzie Songster

Jul 14, 2010
    x

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  3. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Thank you for answering.

I thought that the button quail risk injuring themselves in high cages when they fly up when startled. This is why I bought these "low profile" cages.

Do your birds regularly do this? And, do they perch?

4. Plain_View_Farm

Plain_View_Farm Songster

Apr 5, 2008
    Central Virginia
    Actually 11" - 12" is better for Button Quail.
    At that height they usually cannot gain enough velocity to break their necks when they spook and fly straight up.
    Button Quail (Chinese Blue Breasted Quail) are monogamous. They "should" be kept in pairs, 1 M 1 F.
    I have 11 pairs and admit I have 2 trios 1 M & 2 F and the girls scrap with each other.

David

5. peepswiththepoof

peepswiththepoof Songster

May 19, 2010
    Rougemont, NC
    I think I just bought the same cage for my buttons...are they working out for you?

6. renegaderidgefarm

renegaderidgefarm Songster

Jul 6, 2009
    South Carolina
    Correction. . . . Button Quail are not monogamous and will mate with anything in the cage/pen. I raise silver button quail and have 6 hens in the pen with 2 males and all my eggs have been fertile. I had a spare cage that I kept all my extra males in and they tried breeding each other until none of them had feathers on their backs.

I would try to match them up according to their colors. Do you know how many are males and females?

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Denimmi, you can purchase specific cages for quail from Jodi!!! You know that [​IMG]

And Plain View Farm, I am glad to see you on the forum [​IMG] You know it's me Alexandra [​IMG]

8. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Button Quail ARE Monogamous birds. It is proven in the wild. Colony breeding disturbs the purity of the color making them not breed true. All of you should purchase the most informative book on Button Quail (Chinese Blue Breasted Quail) and the most CORRECT book. It's called a Closer Look at Button Quail by Jodi McDonald.

There is a lot of misleading information out there and if you want to breed these birds right, you should start right. If not, we are going to lose the birds, just like China is about to.

9. renegaderidgefarm

renegaderidgefarm Songster

Jul 6, 2009
    South Carolina
    Well, my button quail are NOT monogamous. My males will breed every hen in the pen and they breed true because I only breed the silvers. If you house all the different colored buttons in one pen, no they will not breed true.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    This is very helpful, I was thinking about getting some cages like that for my buttons. [​IMG]
    It is better to have a low ceiling because buttons will "boink" and can hurt themselves very bardly.
    Sounds like your birds have a good home! Keep up the good work! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by