1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Button quail calling out

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Mmxciv, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Mmxciv

Mmxciv New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    I have 10 button quail. They were altogether as babies then separated when older. Only one of the males calls out very loudly. He starts in at 6am. It sounds like a growling noise and turns into a high pitch pew sound. He has one female in with him and I keep it dark in his cage at night. How do I make him stop calling so early/so often?

2. Mmxciv

Mmxciv New Egg

Aug 10, 2014
    Now most of the males are doing the growling sounds and its going on all day and its driving me nuts what do I do?? All males are in with 1 female.

3. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    If they can see and hear the other buttons they will call to say, "this is my territory keep out!" and to keep the female interested! Mine talk all the time but most of the time it is so soft that you really don't notice unless you try to hear them! The males will calm down when fall arrives and mating slows down. Where do you have your cages? Do you cover them at night? Mine will even call at 4am if the light is right, even moon light. silly birds!

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

They call out to sirens whenever they hear them (fire truck, ambulance, etc.), if you live in town that may be what is starting him going.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by