Button Quail Candling?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by joshuats99, Dec 12, 2016.

1. joshuats99

joshuats99 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    Hello everyone,
    I've kept chickens for some time but when it comes to incubation, I can always rely on my bantam flock to have a broody at just about any given point in time. I finally decided this year to get myself a Christmas gift and try to hatch some button quail. I'm on day seven so I candled a couple of the lighter ones and it seems like the air cells are pretty big for the size of the egg. My humidity has been around 40%, should I try to bring it way up to keep the cells from growing much more, or should I wait it out and see what happens? Thanks in advance!

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Can you get a pic of the air cell? I would trace the air cell with a pencil so you can easily see how much and how fast they are growing. The air cells should guide you on humidity, so if they are growing to fast then go ahead and increase your humidity by 10% and then re-check them in a few days. Button quail are so tiny and adorable!

3. joshuats99

joshuats99 Just Hatched

Jul 11, 2016
    Thanks for the reply! I did go ahead and bring the humidity up to 50-55. I'll try getting a pic tonight just to make sure though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by