Button Quail Chick Care

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PoultryQueen29, Feb 25, 2012.

1. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    I just have a few questions about caring for button quail chicks. I am going to house them in a storage tub but what should I put in it? I have play sand and fine pine shavings (almost like sawdust). Also, what should I feed them? Can they eat the same food as my adult pair? My pair is eating Southern States GB matinence.

2. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    i would reccomend AGAINST sawdust buttons are prone to getting poo stuck on there feet and its very difficult and stressing no them when you try getting it off often times resulting in a broken toe or taking a bit of toe right off as it requires pliers to break it off you can easily pull toe tips off useing jsut your fingers gently i have sadly done this trying to be as gentle as i could running the toe under warm water for a long tiem working at it still removing the toe tip :(

if you want somthing cheap to use for bedding try alfalfa pellets (rabbit food) you can buy a 50 pound bag for cheap and it smells good and doesnt get glued to the feet.

as for young chicks from hatching to about 2 weeks use those foam like drawer liners that grip and just change them or wash them once they get really dirty ive also heard of people useing towels(with no string edging) and jsut replace them and wash them when they are too dirty. once they are larger however and the cage is getting noticeably smelly or dirty after only a few days you can use bedding.

i wouldnt reccomend sand box to little chicks as they could mistaken it for food and try eating it causeing a blockage and they really wont attempt dust bathing untill about 3 weeks of age anyways.

newly hatched chicks till around 4 weeks eat gamebird crumble ground up to the consistancy of corn meal (very fine powder)
    it pays to invest in a single serve coffee grinder as young chicks will eat ALOT much more then adults!
    also its a BAD diea to wet or moisten any food its fine dry.
    after about 4 weeks they should be large enough to handle normal gamebird crumble unground
    also for young chicks you also need to grind up the oyster shell to a find dust too or cuttle bones or whatever else you use as a calcium sorce.

your also gonna want to be sure youve got a screen or mesh tight fittnig lid before the chicks are two weeks at about two weeks is when they begin testing out there wings i recently lost one of my 2 week old chicks when it escaped and was eaten by my cat.

for water you can use a jar lid and some marbels to ensure they cannot drown newly hatched chicks will often times sleep where they fall and sometimes thats in the water dish!

if youve got any more questions feel free to ask

3. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok thanks :) I have most of what I need. I built a wire mesh top for my storage tobs when I hatched bobwhites.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  4. jbobs

jbobs Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:
    ^^ exactly what I used to do, word for word. I love those shelf liners, they are cheap and machine washable so you can re-use them. I never thought of using rabbit food as litter though, good idea. Also, pine pellets for pellet stoves work great too, you can get a huge bag for four or five bucks - it's cheaper than shavings and less dusty.

5. PoultryQueen29

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Thanks for the help! I have been using pine shavings but i'll switch to pellets now [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by