Button quail chick colour? + UK game bird feed brands/quail not laying

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Kitei, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Kitei

Kitei Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    Firstly, if anyone is the the UK and uses a game bird feed for their birds, turkey or just game, what brand do you recommend? Having some trouble with ordering ours through our local mill, who have been trying to get some in for us. Looks like we'll need to try a different brand, though.

Secondly, my Chinese chicks are now 3 weeks, and I wanted to know what colours people think the following are?

[​IMG]
    I have maybe 2 like this? I thought they might be cinnamon, but I've not yet seen a cinnamon bird in person, and these are my first chinese chicks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pictures above are of the same bird. I have 2 of these. The photos make them look white-ish in places, but they're just a paler brown.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Again, both pictures are the same bird. This one is very similar to the other two, but note the lacing effect on the feathers.

[​IMG]
    I know this is a silver pied.

[​IMG]
    And a silver. I just thought I'd show the last two because I had photos of them. xD
    There's a couple of pied birds that I don't know the colours, but I didn't want to stress them out too much tonight.

Thirdly, my blue back silver/silver laced hen and the silver hen are not approximately 13-4 weeks and 11-12 weeks respectively, and I have yet to receive a single egg from either. My red breasted birds are laying most days, and started at about 7 weeks. Both silvers are definitely hens. Why could this be, and what could I do to start them laying?
    They're kept indoors, in a warm room, and get 14-15 hours of light a day, no exceptions. They're on the same food, and have access to water and to grit with oyster shell.

2. Kitei

Kitei Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2012
    Pushing this up as I still need help.

3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    First one looks like a blueface? I'm not entirely sure if that's the name of it, it sounds wrong, but it's what popped into my head, and there are "blueface" on google images that match what color I'm thinking.

The others, it's hard for me to tell. The shadows in the picture make it somewhat harder for me to see them. I guess I'm getting old at 24. Anyways, your silver pied looks to me like it's a tuxedo, which is even more "valuable" than a regular pied. :)

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    sorry not in the UK and 3 weeks is a bit young to color..i could give you a guess but would be better to wait for 3 more weeks as they can still change.

5. ready2change

ready2change New Egg

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi
    I am in the uk, I have coturnix quail and all are laying consistently. I do not know much about the chinese painted quail, except that they are brilliant escape artists and the three I was given escaped and got eaten by the cat!

I feed mine on unmedicated chick crumb which they seem to like and it gives brilliant egg production. When I can not get hold of the chick crumb I feed them chicken layers mash with dried cat food blended up in it.

X Jane

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by