button quail chick feeding

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tankboss, Nov 12, 2013.

1. tankboss

tankboss Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Should my chicks have an unlimited food supply?

2. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    yes your buttons should have food that is at least 24% protein(though 22% will do in a pinch) in front of them always...most gamebird feed fits this bill

i have 12...2 are my original pair and the other 10 are their chicks i hatched in mid/late august and i now have more eggs in the bator so i will have more soon...and they always have food available to them they only ever run out while i'm asleep or out of the house but then their feeders are filled as soon as i notice them being empty and mine are being fed a 28% protein gamebird starter/grower

you will love buttons...their cute little birds with even cuter noises and if you work with them they can be pretty tame

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  3. tankboss

tankboss Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2013
    Thanks A LOT for the info. I have 8 chicks from a recent hacth (one week ago) and yes, they are great. I assumed the feed was always made available to them but, in all my reading online, I never saw anything that spoke directly to that fact.

I purchased the only game bird feed available at my local feed store and but I'm not sure what the protein content is. 50 pound bags is all that they had so I really hope its the right stuff haha.

Thanks again.

4. KuroKitsune

KuroKitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2013
    Kansas
    the bag should have a paper tag sewn into one end or even tell you on the bag somewhere what the protein level is.

buttons are great little birds and addicting

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by