button quail chick having issues

Dan Saiyan

In the Brooder
Aug 22, 2017
Middle TN
hi! i very recently hatched a group of button quail chicks (7 of em) and all seem to be doing fine except one that hatched this morning

i noticed it kept getting stuck in the wire flooring of the incubator (which none of the other chicks had) so i placed a paper towel in the brooder to help. after it dried off with the other chick that had hatched earlier, i placed them both in the brooder with the first five chicks that had hatched the day before

at first it couldnt even walk (it would tumble around and roll on its back and kick its legs), but now its very mobile! the only issues are that when it walks, it's very wobbly and doesnt stand up all the way, and i cant seem to get it to drink from the water nipple i set up like the other chicks have been doing (i managed to get it to drink from a bottle cap in my hand but thats it); it just seems to follow the other chicks around and not drink like it probably should be?? and i cant say for sure ive seen it eat either

i have a feeling it could be a neurological issue, but since im very inexperienced with quails, i dont want to say anything for sure. does anybody know what could be the issue and how to possibly help, if there's anything TO do? i really want this little guy to live, he's so sweet and gentle :'(

thanks in advance!

It could just be that he's a bit weaker and is going to take a bit longer to find his feet. He might just need a little more tlc being the last to hatch. He should watch the other chicks and should soon be copying everything they are doing. With Button quail the rougher and more uneven the brooder substrate the better - shavings and straw are good for strengthening their little legs and preventing splayed legs. They sure are adorable! We have a few of our own at the moment.

It could just be that he's a bit weaker and is going to take a bit longer to find his feet. He might just need a little more tlc being the last to hatch. He should watch the other chicks and should soon be copying everything they are doing. With Button quail the rougher and more uneven the brooder substrate the better - shavings and straw are good for strengthening their little legs and preventing splayed legs. They sure are adorable! We have a few of our own at the moment.

oh that makes me feel a lot better! thank you!!

I had one like that, I used a syringe to drip water onto her beak for her to lick off to ensure she was getting enough liquids down her. She could still eat as I saw her pecking at food while laying on her side. I took her out, laid down, put her on my stomach and kept calling her so she'd fumble her way over to my voice, to help build up muscle. After 2-3 days of this, she got a lot more stable. Now she's grown up into a beautiful Silver Tuxedo hen.

She had also hatched late and had the umbilical cord still attached.

I had one like that, I used a syringe to drip water onto her beak for her to lick off to ensure she was getting enough liquids down her. She could still eat as I saw her pecking at food while laying on her side. I took her out, laid down, put her on my stomach and kept calling her so she'd fumble her way over to my voice, to help build up muscle. After 2-3 days of this, she got a lot more stable. Now she's grown up into a beautiful Silver Tuxedo hen.

She had also hatched late and had the umbilical cord still attached.
i think i can do that! i hope it'll help em out, thank you for sharing!

how often did you take her out and give her the water?

Last edited:
i think i can do that! i hope it'll help em out, thank you for sharing!

how often did you take her out and give her the water?

I didn't really keep track of the timings, but every 4-5 minutes roughly. I was worried due to the baby being so small, she'd dehydrate quickly. Still, when I fell asleep at night and couldn't water her, she was still fine in the morning for her morning drink.

bad news guys,,the chick didnt make it u-u i guess there wasnt enough time to do anything after all

he was so sweet, i hope he feels better now

rest in peace chick #6 <3

Back
Top Bottom