Button quail chick that mother won't raise, advice please!

uptowngirl110

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 13, 2011
Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I am about to ask something that has recently been asked. Our button quails incubated and hatched chicks for the first time last week. 4 chicks hatched and did well for the first few days. One somehow got out and injured itself in the process, I put it back and the mother resumed caring for him. Two days later he and another chick were doing poorly and being picked at by the male and the other two chicks. I removed them and put them in a box with a heat lamp and got the temperature stabilized. Originally both improved, then the previously injured one passed, as I expected. The other chick seems to be doing well, he is eating and running around just fine. My question is that he is MUCH smaller than the ones remaining in the aviary. Is this why she wouldn't care for him? Or is he missing something that I am unaware of? He has ground up game starter and also kaytee hand feeder formula(dry) and water. Should I give him something else? I contemplated putting him back with his parents but feared they will attack him or let him get cold again. He's adorable and loves to be held so he can sleep in my hand, but I worry mama knew something that I don't and that he will die no matter what I do. He is now about one week old. He is also lonely, is it ok for them to be alone or will that cause problems for him? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Back
Top Bottom