button quail chicks pecking?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by neontreefrog5, Mar 26, 2015.

1. neontreefrog5

neontreefrog5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2015
    New Jersey
    i have two button quail chicks that hatched around 3 and 4 this morning. ever since the second hatched, theyve been nonstop pecking each other. i dont see any blood, but it looks like each may have a little bald spot. is this normal? will they stop or will they have to be separated?

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    They should stop, be sure they know where the food and water are. tap your fingers in the dishes until you are certain they are eating and drinking. good luck.

3. neontreefrog5

Feb 21, 2015
    New Jersey
    thanks GrandmaBird. i have showed them how to eat and drink and they have been doing well. though he has been pretty mean pecking at his siblings face, and he has been incessantly chirping and running around the brooder so im unsure whats wrong.

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    I saw your photo on Facebook in the button group, I am an admin on that page. lol anyway do you have them in a brooder with added heat? When there are just 2 sometime they can get a bit rough. I would keep them together but try adding a tiny stuffy toy, like a fuzzy bear or something for them to snuggle with. even a feather duster works. Just something so they think there are more buttons. lol

5. neontreefrog5

Feb 21, 2015
    New Jersey
    lol thanks. yes they are in with a nice heat lamp. i put an old t shirt of mine in there and they are cuddled up sleeping in it. hopefully they stay this calm because the older ones peeping was so loud it woke the whole house!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by