button quail deaths--swollen feet. help!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sparklechicken, May 15, 2011.

1. sparklechicken

sparklechicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    Creston, Ca
    I had a female button die last week. The tips of her toes were pretty swollen, but I wasn't sure what the cause was. Now her cage mate has come down with the same symptoms, but worse. It's like he has elephantiatis (sp?) of the feet. They're HUGELY swollen, all the way up his legs. I keep the pair in a rubbermaid tub with a really thick layer of yesterdays news as bedding. Could it be from walking on feces? Is there anything I can try to save this quail? [​IMG] And does anyone have any ideas about what it might be? Thanks in advance.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Were there poop balls on her nails and are there on his? clumps of poop on the feet causes poor circulation and infection leads to death. Also how often do you clean the tub?

3. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.
    No expert here, but could it be bumblefoot?

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It sounds like some type of infection, how often do you change the bedding? Does it get wet?

5. sparklechicken

sparklechicken Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2010
    Creston, Ca
    The male has a small poo ball on one foot, but both legs are swollen. I'm not sure if it appeared before or after he fell ill. I soaked his legs in a hydrogen peroxide and warm water bath, but the legs are so swollen that I can't get it off without breaking the skin. I don't know what to do. I cleaned their bin every week or week and a half---the reason I switched to yesterday's news over wood shavings is because I thought I would have to clean cages less and it would be more hygienic for the birds. I'll switch back because I've never had any problems on the shavings. The yesterdays news never gets wet, either. I also added tetracycline to his water to help him fight the infection. Is this okay to give buttons? I feel like such an irresponsible pet owner to let this happen [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. diggerduck

diggerduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Marion, IL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by