Button Quail Doing Something Strange

Discussion in 'Quail' started by NeoRoey, Aug 29, 2010.

1. NeoRoey

NeoRoey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    For some reason, I keep seeing my female button quail, Chickapee, tilting her head to one side as if she's observing the wall or something. Then, she tilts her whole body. Is this something I should be worried about? She has only been doing this recently.

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Is she eating and drinking normally? What are you feeding her and the other buttons?

Off balance is an illness of some some or she got injured (boinking her head on top of the cage)

3. NeoRoey

Aug 27, 2010
    She's fine for most of the time and she has balance, she's just been tilting her head in a strange way. I feed them gamebird mash and have been since they were born. They have Arrowhead water and she's been eating and drinking well. She's normal for most of the time. It's just every couple of hours or so that she does the weird thing. I'm trying to get video of it, but it's hard! Not even Tac, our friskiest and jumpiest quail, ever bonked his head on the top of the cage. Although, even though I doubt it, it's still very possible. Tac and Chickapee are mating a lot and he pinches the side of Chickapee's cheek (the one facing the ground when she does the head thing). Could this be the case? How could I stop it?

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You really can't stop the two from mating unless you separate the pair and that would be mean. Tac and Chickapee apparently like each other [​IMG]

5. NeoRoey

Aug 27, 2010
    LOL! Yeah, I guess. I'll just keep an eye on Chickapee to see if the head thing gets worse. But anyways, every time (really, EVERY TIME) Tac sees Chickapee's back, he starts again.

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    hormones...he should slow down...I have a lot of pairs and I rarely see them mate but they are usually more interested seeing what I am doing since they associate me with feeding them lol. You can give them mealworms. That should distract them for a second [​IMG]

7. NeoRoey

Aug 27, 2010
    Mealworms, huh?...Well, I'm going to Petco. I'll see ya later.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by