1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Button Quail egg, air cell in smaller pointy end?!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by monarc23, Aug 7, 2008.

1. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Yep...I have a fertile (due to hatch on sunday or monday) clutch of button eggs. The one that was questionable to me as wether or not it was fertile has been realized. It's fertile, however...the air cell instead of being in the lower round part of the egg is in the small pointy end of the egg and is only a very small amount....ahh!!!

Could this chick hatch without suffocating....or is there a very slim chance???

Poor lil un hatched chickadeee....

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:I suppose it's possible... I can't candle my buttons, so I've never seen one like that. I would just let it go, then on day 14 maybe put it in a carton, pointy end up so the airsac is up. Maybe it will help position the chick so it can reach the airsac. [​IMG] Let us know how it goes, but be prepared for the worst... :aww

3. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    thanks, i hope the poor lil guys hatches...even if I have to help....what a sad way destined for trouble already. I have never heard nor seen such a thing before.

tomorrow is day 14, i'll try what you suggested hopefully it helps.

[​IMG]
    Niki

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    It'll be fine [​IMG]

When i hatch out my Buttons i had a few that hatch out on the small end of the egg and they came out just like the rest of them...

Good Luck [​IMG]

5. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I have no idea how to even candle a button quail egg....... I hope the little chickie hatches!

6. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:I use a pen LED light works great [​IMG] I was able to tell on day 7 that they were fertile (and on two that weren't). [​IMG]

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:really!?!?! *PHEEEWW* okay i'll leave it alone then LOL!

8. TommyVT05

TommyVT05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southern California
    Is this a good time of the year to be hatching out Bobwhites using an incubator? My friend put like 20 eggs in the incubator about 3 weeks ago, hope they are good. I am getting like 4-5 from him so...hope for the best! : )

- Tommy

9. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    Quote:I use a pen LED light works great [​IMG] I was able to tell on day 7 that they were fertile (and on two that weren't). [​IMG]

wow. I never would have thought about a led pen light..... thanks for the tip!!

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:Mine are still laying eggs, and I have several in the incubator and more about to go in. As long as you can keep them warm enough until they're fully feathered, you should be good. I hear they stop laying around Sept/Oct naturally, but with artificial light you can keep most quail laying nearly year round (though it's not good for them to do so). [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Good luck to your friend! They take ~ 23 days to hatch, so you should be hearing about chicks soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by