button quail egg piping and hatching question

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by donna74, Mar 30, 2017.

1. donna74

donna74 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    north adams, ma
    I am a first time foster mom of chinese button quails. I own parents but they won't sit on own eggs so I used a incubator. The first egg pipped and has chipped a line down half of fat end. And now nothing no movement no new chipping. I had raised humidity days ago sides of incubator have moisture on it. How long does it take for it to come out of it's egg? At what point should i get worried? Each egg is a day apart

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Donna74, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! I know precious little about incubating & hatching - and even less when it comes to quail. The folks in these links may be able to help you:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs
    and here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...rchives-important-frequently-requested-topics
    and here for quail questions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/48/quail
    Hope you can get some answers in those links. Best wishes and happy hatching! [​IMG]

3. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

redsoxs has given you some good links to check out, I hope you find the answers you need.

Best of luck with your hatch!

4. donna74

donna74 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    north adams, ma
    thank i will try them, i just thought that hatching would be a quick thing. i never knew it takes so long,

5. donna74

donna74 New Egg

Mar 30, 2017
    north adams, ma
    sadly chick has died, just wish i knew what happened with it, was fully formed egg sac absorbed just didnt hatch out :( i have five more left wish i knew if i was doing something wrong each egg is a day apart i still have time to help them. don't want to loose any more

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I don't know anything about quail but you have been given the link. Check with them that you temperature and humidity are in the right limits. If condensation is forming I would think that means the humidity is too high. Unless that is what quail require. You should always have two thermometers and hygrometers to check for accuracy.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under donna74 [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry that I am not able to help with your hatching question but redsoxs has given you links to some great starting points.

I am also so very sorry to hear of you loss [​IMG]

I do hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by