button quail egglaying **NEW QUESTION**

ButtonQuailBoy

Songster
11 Years
Jun 23, 2008
Throop PA 18512
Can anyone tell me *pokes monarc23* if these conditions are suitable for a pair of buttons...

1. I plan to give them grit w/ calcium ever day
2. Feeding them: 20% finch food 80% game bird crumble
3. Having a lamp on above the cage 14 hours a day for a light source
4. Having 2 fake plants w/ nests under them for a hiding area
5. I have them in a rabbit cage for now 14Wx24Lx16H

Will this work? Is this a suitable environment for them to lay some eggs in?

PB150001-1.jpg

PB150004-2.jpg

Many thanks!!

~Jacob

Last edited:
Quote:
Cracks knuckles! LOL!

1. I plan to give them grit w/ calcium ever day GOOD
2. Feeding them: 20% finch food 80% game bird crumble Great!
3. Having a lamp on above the cage 14 hours a day for a light source Perfect!
4. Having 2 fake plants w/ nests under them for a hiding area it's very cute and great hideys for them to feel secure in
5. I have them in a rabbit cage for now 14Wx24Lx16H
the cage itself is PERFECT in size, and the set up is ADORABLE, however i suggest buying screen or hardware cloth and ziptying it (cheapest way) to the bars just for safety reasons. Redhen had a bad experience with bar spacing that big they can get out...with or without help from pedators (aka kitties or doggies). It would be safer to add something like that for safety reasons other than that i love it!

Will this work? Is this a suitable environment for them to lay some eggs in?

YEP!

GOod job on the set up and I love it!!!

Looks great. I would make sure to put some smaller wire around the bars so they can't squeeze out of there. Mine live in terrainiums and lay their eggs in a hampster hideout box. I've incubated their eggs and sold the babies to someone else that wanted a start in buttons. I have 4 buttons but only 2 have names. The males are named Captain Morgan and Rooster Cogburn. I just call the females girl 1 and girl 2. [
9511_emote281.gif

I have one more question...When will they start to lay...The lady said they've been laying almost daily so when will they start to lay for me?

ETA: I just looked at her she appears to have a lump by her vent area...is that an egg?

Last edited:
Quote:
when buttons are transported to a new home it takes them a long while to settle in and start to lay again. My first adult pair i purchased that were laying before I got them took a few days over a month for me to start getting eggs.

Back
Top Bottom