Button quail eggs in a Hova-bator Genesis 1588 (First attempt)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CatJane0x0, Aug 12, 2010.

1. CatJane0x0

CatJane0x0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    I set up my new incubator and placed in the eggs from my 4 month old buttons. (Their baby pic is in on My Page!) They may plan to incubate future eggs on their own because I caught them rolling the eggs about a few times recently. That would be great! Is that a good sign that they may?

Well -- the eggs are set in there on self-turning quail rails at 100-101 degrees with 50-53 humidity. I have a humidifier in the room for the last stage in case I need it. I am using an Acu-rite and a crappy Springflied that doesn't seem to go any higher than 45% humidity.
    I am using that clever idea a user on here had of an eye dropper with fish tubing through the top for adding water during lockdown.

I'm on day 8 and 1/2 with all but 3 of 16 eggs. I put the last ones in about 3 days later because I just couldn't help myself.
    Well, I had a fairly easy time candling these eggs. I've read that it is hard to do, but I bought an LED 130 lumen by Black and Decker... it works wonders! I checked into the 5 day old eggs a few hours ago and couldn't believe it...already movement in a small bulge surrounded by veins! They grow quickly in there! The older eggs seem solid with only a small trace of green tinted yolk and veins to be seen on the pointed bottom spot. I think that's good?

I wanted to ask you guys- should I place them in a rail carton on the bottom during lockdown? I heard they hatch easier this way. I am planning to begin lockdown on the 14th day.

Thanks!

2. SunshineSilkies

SunshineSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    Florida
    I love my 1588's!!! Don't have to worry about the temp...Have hatched many quail and silkies from my bators [​IMG]

3. CatJane0x0

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    I'm glad to hear -- I read a lot of panic threads about incubating from a lot of new hatchers. [​IMG] I'm trying to stay chilled with it all and let it work the magic, lol -- seems like they're growing in there. I haven't seen any bacteria rings or quitters. I think I am seeing things correctly...looks like they're filling up most the shell in there! Half way there I hope!

Any opinion on leaving them in the cartons on lockdown? I am trying to decide if I should just lay them down natural on their sides or what?

Lockdown in 4 days!

4. CatJane0x0

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    They hatched right on the 16th day! I took many pictures and also have some videos. I watched them all hatch out! I ended up leaving them in the carton and got the humidity up to about 65-68 with a boost to 70 from the eggs hatching.

Here they are:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

About 6 hours later, they are placed in their brooder tank:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(I lowered it from 98 down to 96 degrees once they dried off. They seem happy with that.)

That last egg that didn't hatch.... I opened it up very gently from the air sac area. Here is what was inside:

[​IMG]

I didn't realize the way it looked like it was on the couch with the lady until now....jeez. Anyhow, it is missing the top beak and has a really long bottom piece. The eyes are just white holes and the head is deformed as well. I am glad it was dead when I opened it. Probably for the best.

[​IMG]

10 out of 11...I am very happy with that!

There were actually 5 (not 3) that I placed in there late....so we'll see if they make it yet in the next few days. So a grand total of 16 eggs but I'll be surprised if those hatch. We'll see.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  5. CatJane0x0

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
  6. CatJane0x0

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    [​IMG]

4 out of 5 hatched! 14 total....that's 88 percent I think. I'm happy with that. [​IMG]
    They're so cute...

7. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    the pic of the dead one scared the crap outa me all the sudden i see hair a face and a dead fetuse..... the live are vary cute and all seemed to look eger to egg outa the eggs

8. CatJane0x0

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    Lol, I'm sorry! I thought about it being too gross to share...but that is all part of the experience of life so I put it up as well. It was sad, but also interesting. I am hoping I don't see that in the next hatch...I can handle the normal deads, but that one was a little creepy. I think I had good temps and humidity going with minimal, clean egg handling as far as that goes. Just a birth defect. Poor fellow. I saw something worse on here. I forget the user's name at the moment, but one of her eggs was filled with a big meaty glob the shape of the egg itself. I am grateful not to have ever had that happen before at least. [​IMG]

So far all 14 chicks are strong and healthy....they call "Wheeee!" and for some reason it gets my adult boys howling. I wonder what they're thinking and why they go off like that.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2010
  9. Surehatch

Surehatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Georgia
    Well done with your successful hatch!

10. CatJane0x0

May 5, 2010
    Alpena, MI
    Thank you, Surehatch -- [​IMG]

I have already begun my second, but last batch of the year. We'll see how it goes with the same settings again.
    I have several takers for some of these little fellas that I know will treat them well and enjoy them...hope I can keep myself from getting attached to all of them!
    When I get confident enough, I would like to try my luck hatching a few heritage turkeys. I'll do my research for next year. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by