Button quail eggs in with duck egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by beepbeepinajeep, Apr 26, 2009.

1. beepbeepinajeep

beepbeepinajeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I have a mallard set to hatch out this week (aren't they a week behind chickens? my chickens hatched tues/wed of last week)... would it be ok to put some button quail eggs in the bator now? Would the duck when it hatches cause a problem? Will the high humidity be ok with the quail eggs? Thanks!

Erin

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    I don't have any advice, But I will be doing the same thing, LOL. I have chicken eggs set to hatch on friday, a duck egg set to hatch two weeks later and I will have 25+ button quail eggs needing to go in after the chicken eggs hatch. I'm not too concerned with humidity, there is not much I can do about humidity, it will need to be higher for 3 days for the duck to hatch, and I'm just going to hope that doesn't mess up the quail eggs. What I'm worried about is the clumsy duckling crushing the fragile quail eggs, so hubby is going to make some sort of devider for the incubator.

LoL,
    I'm not sure it will work, but nobody will ever know if someone doesn't test it, so here goes nothing. [​IMG]

Good Luck!

3. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I guess we will find out together:) How long does it take button quail to hatch out? I think the lady who is giving them to me said 16-18 days.... Is that right? She said they would be smaller than a bumblebee. I will be scared to move them from the bator to the brooder!

4. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Yes, that is all true, this will be my first time hatching Button Quail, but yes, I have heard that they are as big as a bumble bee, or the size of your thumb from the tip to the first knuckle. Make sure you read up on feed, I have heard they need more protein than Chicks, and cannot have medicated feed. I'm so excited, yet nervous! [​IMG] + [​IMG]

5. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    I have the quail eggs in now:) So I stop turning in two weeks, right? They are really pretty eggs! I hope they hatch! I think when the duck starts hatching I will put them in an egg carton inside the incubator. Do you think that would be ok?

6. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    Congrats on trying quail! they are heart-thieves!

Especially those darn little buttons!

Mine are three weeks old and are smaller than my bantams that hatched today!!!

Some thingas about quail babies

They need food within 12 hours of hatching, and water too. They need to be shown what eating/drinking are, so dunk their beaks gently into each.

For the waterer..place marbles or something similare in the water...they can drown in anything deeper than 1/8 inch depth. Thats right... 1/4 inch can drown a baby quail.

They cannot have medicated feed. The doses in medicated feed are for much larger birs...think adult size medications for children under 1 year old...not good.

they will eat a lot (for their size), due to MUCH higher metabolisms...so game bird starter is best. The higher the protein the better...28% if you can find it, turkey starter if you cannot. If you cannot find turkey starter, feed smashed boiled eggs and/or unsweetened yogurt twice daily. 5 lbs of feed will keep you going for more than a month with up to 5-6 dozen quail.

They have a VERY high ammonia count to their dropping...so keep your clean up routine cheap and easy. Paper towels for the first week or two, then move on.

Baby quail feet are TINY and will slip right through 1/2 " hardware cloth, and some even through the 1/4 inch cloth. paper towels or shelf liners (the quilted non-stick type for drawers) seems to do well with them.

Have an enclosure/brooder HOT for when they get out. Quail are very active very quickly and will damage other eggs if left in the hatcher too long. As soon as they are walking/jumping well they need to go to an already heated brooder.

It is VERY important to not lett them get chilled. They get chilled more easily than other birds due to their size.

Speaking of jumping, they WILL jump out and try to escape anything as high as six inches in their first week. Chasing something the size of a small marble through your house is NOT fun. I learned this from experience. Twice. Half their size is pure fluff and they can squeeze through holes the width of two quarters (thin sides together) and dash off to places unknown.

Secure overhead netting is necessary at the first signs of jumping, or sooner. Needs to be soft, as they startle upwards first, then run like crazy.

They stay wild from birth on.

Congrats on your eggies, may the hatch force be with you!

7. barnwife

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    OH...and for the incubation,....putting them in an egg carton is the way I lost a bunch of eggs. Quail eggs need TONS of air circulation around the shell. And the ducks will smash them..not violently and pickingly, like chicks do, but just by bumbling over them.

If you are able, putting them in a separate incubator altogether would be the best for the tiny fragile eggs.

8. beepbeepinajeep

Apr 19, 2009
    Piedmont NC
    Great help! Thank you:) The lady I got them from had made a cage out of a rubbermaid container that had two large holes in the top covered with mesh. It seemed to work really well. I wonder if I could do something like that & have a heat lamp attached to it. My chicken brooder is an old rabbit cage with a heat lamp attached to the top;)

I have already started them in the same incubator & only have the one. I wonder what I can do to protect them when the duck hatches. Do you think I can sort of partition off half of it? I'm using a guerrilla style homemade incubator.

9. barnwife

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I do think they will need a divider of some sort. I had a duck crush eight quail eggs before I knew what was going on....jus t by being a normal duckling!!

maybe cut a piece of hardware clot just big enough to partition so it does not affect thi air flow and heatdisbursion as bad?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by